SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

can't access my dvd/cd drive on my windows 7 premium desktop.

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by skip1744
  • Latest reply from StringJunky
  • Topic Viewed 294 times

skip1744

I am having a problem accessing my dvd/cd drive on my windows 7 desktop. It has worked flawlessly for 2 years and suddenly I can't get it to recognizes a cd or dvd when I insert one. the screen keeps saying "insert a disc". when I go to the control panel to see if the drive is working and When I click on the drive and then click on properties it says the drive is working ok. when I use the built in microsoft troubleshooter it says that I am missing a driver but can't find it on my computer or give me the name of the driver. this happened last week after I was deactivating (probably wrong word) some services and also downloaded and installed the latest windows 7 update. I don' know which caused my problem but I am stuck.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

If you played with the services, no wonder you get problems. Suggest you reactivate them. If nothing else, run a sfc /scannow.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Use this guide to help you with Services,
http://www.blackviper.com/

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

To expand on LH's suggestion. Click on this link (list for W7):

http://www.blackviper.com/serv.....gurations/

Type: services.msc in your Start Orb > Search box to bring you to the Services page. Whilst cross-checking down the Black Viper DEFAULT column of your operating system version with your open services list, double-click on each line that DOES NOT match with the Black Viper list. Click on the dropdown list in Startup Type and change it to match what is on the list for that item, then click OK.

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!