The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Can't access hard drive files from laptop

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by MFreebird
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 1271 times

MFreebird

I am needing to access files from my laptop, but it crashed, and can't be fixed without being reinstalled. I have disconnected the hard drive and attached it to my Windows 7 desktop, windows 7 says there is 120GB used on the drive but I cant access it.
What I want to know:
- How do you access the files in the "Users"/(User name) folder? I have accessed the folder before but now can't.
- If I re-attach the drive to the laptop, and install windows over top of the faulty instillation (without formatting the drive), will I be able to get the files saved? Will there be a "Windows.old" file like in Windows 7 that will contain this data?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

What do you mean by I can't access.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

I would try a live Linux CD to get the files off.

The problem Windows 7 has is probably because the disk is formatted in EFI. If you attached it to another Windows 8 system, it would probably work.

Posted 1 year ago

gnrsu

you can try access them under PE

or you can re-install win7 from another pc, then you will find what you want in the windows.old folders -- but your C drive size must be big enough

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

Go with a Linux Live CD. Ubuntu will work for what you want.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-computer/

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

I would still like to know what OP means by "can't access". I plug drives from other computers into my Windows computers and read/save them. If it is a permissions problem, that is easily solved.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.