How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Canonical previews Ubuntu Linux for tablets

(18 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 826 times

raphoenix
raphoenix

Those eager for a taste can download a developer preview version on Thursday. - See more at: http://www.computerworld.com/s.....I7wUp.dpuf

Poster's Comment.

Hopefully finally getting some where here without Windows 8.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

It used to be easy to have a bevy of computers with every operating system on it. No more!

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

The OEM UEFI Bioses WITHOUT Complete Settings is the problem with Windows 8 and running multiple O/Ses.

Now only Builder Machines which have Complete UEFI Bios Settings are easy to setup with multiple O/Ses.

Folks purchasing new OEM Laptops and such running Windows 8 are in for a "bevy" of problems so best keep their warranty information handy and safe.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Multiple OSes can still be run if you go virtual. I am currently running Win8, Zorin, Mint and Ubuntu - all in virtual on one Win7 host. The same can be done on a Win8 host. There is quasi no performance impact with VMware Player - provided you run from a SSD. Even running from an external SSD via USB3 is the same. And it is so much easier because there is no impact on your host system or your file system. The virtual machine is just a folder with a bunch of subfolders on your host.

If anybody wants to know how to set it up, let me know.

I warn those who want to try Ubuntu. The new Ubuntu with the Unity interface is a real mess (in my book). I had used Ubuntu a couple of years ago with no problems. But with Unity, I am completely discombobulated.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

VMs are Fine as long as the machine has the CPU and Ram to do the job.

Most folks are purchasing OEM machines which have i3 CPUs with a minimum of ram.

The OEM Machine market is a mess right now from the products I see advertised.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@whs, are any of your machines OEM? Many if not most of us still use store bought systems. Is there any criteria for the multiple OS's?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Rick, the CPU is no problem - an i3 is fine. As for RAM, anything above 3GB will work well, especially with Linux since you need only 1GB for a virtual Linux. But most systems today come with 4GB minimum anyhow. So there should be no problem.

The more critical resource is the disk. A 5400 RPM spinner will not do very well - unless you are patient. SSD is the way to go.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

warlock, I have 7 systems - all OEM. 2xHP, 2xDell, 2xGateway, 1xToshiba. But they all have SSDs. They are distributed over 3 homes though. So I don't use all of them all the time and the laptops are mostely used by my wife. My main systems that I use are the Dell desktops.

PS: You can put multiple systems on any PC. A Linux distro takes 6 to 8GB of disk space. That is about all you need - on a fast disk if possible.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

whs, thanks for the answer. All OEM but then upgraded with SSDs. Always thought you built from scratch:)

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Ya I forgot to mention that most OEM Laptops and such don't ship with SSD option unless they are expensive CTO models. Also think one needs an core i5 or better to run good while in VM.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

For anybody who is interested in setting up a virtual system I can only encourage you. It is a 1 hour job. Most of the time is needed for downloading VMware Player and a Linuc distro. I would start with Zorin because it is easy to understand for a Windows user, it is not too big and very fast when you use it.

Here is a tutorial on how to set it up. I bet you will love it.

If you are not yet convinced, watch my little demo.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

warlock, I would love to build. But with a 40% eyesight and arthritis in my hands, that is out of my reach.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Rick, right on about that. Most shop price (sale papers) and you won't get an SSD unless custom ordered. Occasionally you might see one advertised.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

whs, Just thought you did. You are so knowledgable. But, all the things you seem to be able to do with OEM machines and a few upgrades is nice to know. gives us (non-builders) hope to try one day, some confidence that the store bought stuff can still be used.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Yes a CTO machine with SSD will cost around $2000 and then don't have complete Bios Settings as I said above.

The market is a real mess.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Rick, what is the big deal. Buy a $500 laptop, spend an extra $100 to $120 for a 120GB SSD and put that in and you are in business. I have a Toshiba laptop with an i5 and 6GB of RAM like that. Works great. Even has a USB3 port for my HDD that I recovered when I put the SSD in.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

warlock, you have to practical with PCs. There is no need to go overboard. Any reasonable PC from a brick and mortar store can do the things you want. The only upgrade that is really worth the money is a SSD.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Yes, I think your right. Technology changes to often. Not like comparing a piece of fine furniture that will last.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!