How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Canon ScanScan N1220U need Windows 7 driver

(8 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by LarrySr
  • Latest reply from frankmillhouse
  • Topic Viewed 20747 times

LarrySr
LarrySr

I just moved to a new computer running Windows 7. I have been running my Canon N1220U scanner under Windows XP using it with my Adobe Photoshop connected to a USB port. The scanner will not install on my new computer running Windows 7. Does anyone know where I can get a driver for my scanner that will work with Windows 7. I sent an e-mail to Canon but it will take them days to answer and I really need to use my scanner. Any help will be appreciated.

Posted 4 years ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

I just noticed i fat fingered the topic when I was typing it. It should say "Canon CanoScan N1220U. Sorry about that.

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

Hi, ive searched everywhere, Canon didn't even make a driver for Vista, which leaves win7 not even thought about, so there is no drivers for win7 for your scanner im afraid, one option is to run the scanner in Xp mode in win7, then it may work.

Posted 4 years ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

Thanks for looking. I was running it under Windows XP. Windows 7 will not even install the device. I really like that scanner but I guess I will need a new one.

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

you can run it in XP mode in win7

Posted 4 years ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

When I plug it into the usb port it will not even recognize it. It gives me an "unknown device" for it so I don't even have the option to run it in Windows XP.
Thanks for attempting to help.

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

Xp mode is a completely different program altogether you need to download it from microsoft, if you have win7 professional, enterprise or ultimate its available for download, once its installed you can use XP mode to run older hardware (scanner) and programs that are not compatible with win7, what version of Win7 do you have?

have a look here

www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

frankmillhouse

I beleive XP mode from Microsoft is available for Windows 7 Professional only, not for Windows 7 Home (which I have). Guaranteed to work, you will need to download VMWare for windows 7 64 bit and have a windows XP disk with a working serial (I actually used an ISO image). It is straight forward, install VMWare, add a virtual Machine, install XP on the virtual machine), install the drivers for the scanner (XP Mode) and set up scanner. VMWare is free and a great program, definately works on Windows 7 Home Premium -good luck in XP

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.