The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Cannot sign in to Internet

(8 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by ChiefScientist
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 971 times

ChiefScientist

O/S is Windows XP (Home), PC recent COMPAQ (2004), ISP Verizon (Broadband), have an AOL account, plus MSN, I/E (6.0?). Cannot sign in to any Internet account in general, although sometimes. (Behavior is different at every reboot.) COMPAQ PC Help & Support error log notes COM+ Event error. Tried to fix from Internet instructions involving removal of clbcatq.dll and COM+ reinstall. Did not work. Now Help & Support gives Class Not Registered error, can no longer view error log, system status, etc. System Restore to recent dates does not work (but worked for May--no help). ISP verified Internet connection. PC diagnostics indicate modem is functioning correctly, says problem is in "Key Ports." Firewall (Windows SP3) does not appear to be the problem. Checked with AOL help--useless. Tried 5 different registry cleaners/fix it tools--nothing works.
Nothing works, and so far I haven't been able to get a straight answer out of anybody.

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Give this a shot, power down you pc then physically unplug your modem and router for about a minute or so. Plug them back in then power up your pc (you would be amazed how often this works, let's hope that you are one of them!!).

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Budohorseman,

Right On Point !!

@ChiefScientist,

Can you give me the Event Error Code from your Event Logs ??

Will have to copy to clipboard and paste into post.

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

ChiefScientist

I see no instructions here on how to reply. It looks like you just type in the box and hit Send Post. In any case, I will try the power down/unplug fix. I believe the COM+ Event error code was 80040154, but I did not copy it down, since I could always check the error log again (I thought). My latest interesting discovery is that Windows XP System Restore does not work. Oh, it restored, sure--only nothing would work under the restored system. Undo Restore resulted in eliminating my network connection entirely. Attempting to reinstall from the Verizon DSL CD elicited an "I can't install because you have an open connection to AOL." How I could do that without a network connection is a mystery as profound as that of the Holy Trinity. Terminating all AOL processes and trying again resulted in a "flash.ocx" error.

Posted 6 years ago

ChiefScientist

Evidently there is no way to fix these problems except wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP or buy a new computer. I guess I'm just another victim of the criminals at Microsoft. I would close this thread but can't find the right button.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

POST DELETED OUR OF DECORUM 09/12/2008

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Rick, I think you make AOL worse than it is. We are running AOL all the time. In fact the wife uses it all day long and never had any problem at all. I find AOL very handy because it keeps all my mail (never lost one) and does some additional security checking. And I also was able to use it to watch on-line TV when IE,FF and Opera had given up and did not work. But it is, of course, like with anything else - you have to know what you are doing.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

POST DELETED OUR OF DECORUM 09/12/2008

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.