The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Cannot Re-install Win 7 on ASUS X53E

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by ScottF
  • Latest reply from ScottF
  • Topic Viewed 1418 times

ScottF

A Friend brought me her ASUS X53E laptop and said she had gotten a Virus. Said she thought it was called AVG Loader but wasn't sure. She had removed the virus and tried to re-install Windows. By the time I got the machine it would not boot into Windows y, and would not load the system recovery. In both cases it would reach the "Loading Windows" splash screen and just sit there. She had Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

I attempted to re-install windows from a DVD. It copied files and was near the end of the "Complete Installation" stage when it said something to the effect that Windows cannot start a service, restart computer to complete installation. When I restart it gets to the Starting services stage and says that Windows restarted unexpectedly, restart computer to complete installation, and it would not move past that.

I tried several things. Since she did not have any data she wanted to save, I reformatted the C: and D: drives to insure we killed the virus. Repaired the MBR, Then did a full re-install. It again gets near the end of the installation and says to restart computer, then just goes into a loop where every time I reboot it tells me to restart computer to complete installation. I can't get past it.

Can anyone help please?

Is there a driver that has to be loaded before Windows can be installed?

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Hi ScottF,
Since you reformatted both "C & "D" partitions you have lost her recovery image. Then attempting to repair the MBR probably did more damage.
You have a couple of choices.
Download this free utility > burn to disk > change the boot order so the optical device is the first boot order > then using the disk you just burned boot from that disk.
You will see your HDD. There might be an option to recover formatted partitions, if so you can try and recover her "D" drive if that was the drive that held the recovery image. If that works then recover it and just format the old "C" and try the recovery option again.
If the above doesn't work then using the PW disk just reformat the entire disk as one partition to NTFS and then reinstall windows. You can make a second partition for whatever later. Do not let windows format your drive during the installation, skip over that and proceed.
Make sure when working with the PW utility you delete the little partition that carries the boot information otherwise you will run into the same conflict or error again.
http://www.partitionwizard.com.....nager.html

Posted 1 year ago

ScottF

Thanks

When I was trying to install windows I was seeing 3 partitions. One labeled SYSTEM, One labeled DATA and one labeled RECOVERY. From a dos prompt I reformatted c: which was just under 300 GB, then D: which was just over 300 GB. Before it let me reformat D: I had to type in the volume label which was "DATA". I later looked at the computer with a partitioning tool and saw 3 partitions, C: and D: A bit under and a bit over 300 GB , formatted NTFS, and a small partition formatted FAT32, I don't recall the size of the FAT32 partition. When you say to 'delete the little partition that carries the boot information', are you talking about that FAT32 partition?

I am not at home right now so I will have to wait till later to try this.

Scott

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

The FAT32 partition will have the mfg diagnostic utilities on it including access to the recovery partition.
Other then the "C" partition do you remember if you formatted the RECOVERY partition? If so then as I said the factory recovery image is lost.
Can you post exactly what was on what drive ex, "C" win7> "D" Data, ? RECOVERY etc.
Need to know what partitioning tool are you using and does it have a partition recovery option?
If you have all those partitions and cannot recover the factory image you need to wipe the entire HDD and start from scratch. Make one partition and format it as NTFS.

Posted 1 year ago

ScottF

Thanks for the help.

I ended up deleting all the partitions and creating a single new partition. I also had a bad sector on the Installation DVD and had to burn a new one. It all works now.

Scott

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!