The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - cannot open .xls on memory stick

(14 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by nell
  • Latest reply from nell
  • Topic Viewed 546 times

nell

I have a memory stick with progs. from pc A, all the progs. open ok, but when I insert the stick into PC B an old one that has been given to me a notation comes up saying that the pc does not have the programme to open the files and advises to look on the web or use your own programme. It seems to be because pc B does not have Excell installed (or much else), whereas pc A does, I have just re-installed Office 2003 after a recent crash to pc A. Looking at the cover of Office 2003, it is for one computer only so cannot instal that, so what does anyone recommend I download so as to be able to open Excell files? As I say, there are several mentioned when clicking on the Microsoft button to go to the web but they are not Microsoft progs. I feel.

Posted 1 year ago

moreeg

Hi Nell

You can try this viewer supplied by Microsoft. As the name indicates, you will be able to view the contents but not change the Excel file.

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Yes I have just had a quick look at it and it seems just what I need and is a Microsoft prog. I will open up pc B tomorrow and try it out. Many thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt

nell, you could also install LibreOffice on PC B. This is a full office suite which would allow you to update/save those .xls files.

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Hi Jim. I have had a quick read, according to them it should be "a painless transition for Microsoft users", I hope so. PC B is my standby its old but works ok and as I do not want to pay for any progs for it I think your suggestion is one to be followed. Will give it a go tomorrow. Thank you for the advice and good night.

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt

You're welcome, nell. Here's another option you could check out while you're at it.
http://www.openoffice.org/

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

Open office is a good choice and it's free. Just as good as MS office

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

Free yes, just as good not so sure. Good enough maybe.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

Ok it doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it does a good job for me on this laptop.

Forgot to say it's better then nothing

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

Good enough.

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Hi Moreeg, just downloaded and installed, just tested it out, works superb. Many thanks for that tip, have been scratching my head for several days, should have known better and gone on the forum earlier.
Now going out, and will be looking at Jim's suggestions re Open Office and Libre Office, from some of the posts opinion seems to be divided. For me I only use Excell simply to keep a few details of Bonds, etc (does not take up much room on the sheet I can tell you), and just to write the occasional letter so whatever is the simplest to use will be my choice.
Many thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Hi Hermitt, I have downloaded Open Office, and it is quite adequate for my purposes.
It seems to perform the same function as I have on my other computer (Office 2003), although I appreciate things have moved along a bit since I first had that prog. In a computer shop yesterday I saw the current price was 99 pounds for the latest version. Seems a lot to pay for someone who, like me only uses bare basics anyway. As and when I buy a new computer I think I could stick with Open Office and save my dosh.
Many thanks for your several contributions.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

nell, it's good you got excel resolved and OO seems to have the Office 2003 problem resolved also.

The interface should not only work well (OO v M$ Office), OO should serve all your needs

2 for the price of one, lol, thanks for reporting back

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Yes, I think that is the last piece of the jigsaw, would not recommend going back to original settings to anyone. What a lot of time I have spent, you guys also.
Thanks to all.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.