The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Cannot open files with word 2007

(7 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by visn
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1524 times

visn

I open microsoft word 2007 on Vista, and go to open any files and it always pops up "The File (file name) is not available" so i cannot access any of my files or any homework files online, nothing will open. if anyone has any hints or comments they would be greatly appreciated.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

I assume those are .docx or .doc files. What happens when you go to the file itself and double click on it? Or are you trying to open the files from Word "Recent Documents"?

Posted 6 years ago

visn

they are .docx files and any way i try to open them the same exact window comes up that "The File (file name) is not available"

Posted 6 years ago

whs

You may have a corrupted office system file. That has happened to me a few times. I just uninstalled and reinstalled office 2007 to fix the problem.

Posted 6 years ago

visn

i already tried that but i will try again and see if anything happens.

Posted 6 years ago

visn

yup reinstalled it for the second time and problem still exsist...

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Hmm, so it is a Vista problem. What is the error code you get with this message. It would also be useful to know which process issues this message. You check that with Process Explorer. Drag the rightmost Icon on top of the Process Explorer window (the one to the right of the binoculars) over the error message. PE will highlight the process in question in blue. If you hover over the process name, you usually get more detailed information regarding the process.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.