The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Cannot manually remove a service in Win 7

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by pvkalso
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 347 times

pvkalso

I have an anti-spam program that got corrupted. It has been removed from the program list in Control Panel, but it still shows in Services. Using the SC utility has not been able to remove the service. It shows an error <Failed To Read Description. Error Code: 2>. I am trying to remove this service because I'm trying to reinstall the program. I have tried the reinstall several times. Each time, the installer finds a "previous folder" to install in. Afterward, each time I try to open the program, I get a message saying the app was not installed properly and to reinstall. I've been trying to find this mysterious "previous" folder but I can't find it anywhere. I'm trying to avoid having to screw around with the registry manually, and was hoping the sc utility would do it for me, but so far, no success. The program supplier has basically thrown their hands in the air. Their last comment was "I'm not sure what to advise. One should be able to remove Windows service even if the files are not there. Try googling some more and see if you can find a way to remove a service reference from your computer." So.... now I'm really hunting for some expert help, and would really appreciate anything that this form can do to help me out. Thanks a bunch.

Peter
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Edit by mod, please don't post email address, wait for the forum to respond

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

Try a system restore to an earlier date.

Windows 7 System Restore

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Any help ?
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....sta-or-xp/

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!