The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Cannot make special Characters on my Laptop using ALT

(17 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by rimanere2
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 37139 times

rimanere2

I've got a Toshiba Laptop and Vista OS. Laptops usually have an American-style keyboard, and Spanish (as well as other languages) requires some special keys that aren't on American keyboards. I cannot make special characters using my keyboard. I check some forums over the internet and they suggest to use the Fn keyboard in combination with ALT, but this trick does not work for me.To get the characters I am using the CHARACTER MAP. Does anyone knows a way to insert this characters using the keyboard?
I will appreciate your help.

Posted 6 years ago

pipo

Try pressing FN + Numlock (in my laptop, it's the F11 key). This should make your keyboard lock to the numbers, like in my laptop M = 0, J = 1, K = 2, L = 3, etc.

HTH

Posted 6 years ago

rimanere2

Thank you Pipo,
The combination of Fn + F11 make my keyboard lock to the numbers, but I cannot still generate special characters such as the "ň".

Posted 6 years ago

pipo

Which application are you using?

Posted 6 years ago

rimanere2

Pipo,I am using notepad.

Posted 6 years ago

pipo

Have you tried other text editors, like MS Word?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

it works with numlock on or off
Are you holding down the fn & Alt keys when you tap in 164?

Posted 6 years ago

rimanere2

It is working now, Thank you Pipo and Lighthouse.

Posted 6 years ago

pipo

how'd you make it work? maybe you can share what you did (just in case i might encounter a similar prob with my laptop :D )

Posted 6 years ago

rimanere2

What I did it is to update the driver for the keyboard and then lock the numbers ( By clicking Fn + F11) and press the corresponding letters for ALT 164 (ALT + J + O + U).
Thank you again for your help.

Posted 6 years ago

elizbell

I am using a Dell Laptop with a Targus keypad and this is what I have to do to type special characters on the keypad: On your laptop press ALT and hold, then press Fn+ the numerical code for the special character, such as 0242 for a ñ.

Posted 5 years ago

elizbell

Excuse me, that was ALT+Fn+241 for a ñ!

Posted 5 years ago

Odeho19

Which is the "Fn" key? I have a Dell XPS 410,w/ Standard keyboard, and don't see this key anywhere. And where can I look up the Character Map ?

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Fn key is just for laptops.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Odeho, Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Character Map. Or type "char" in start search.

Posted 5 years ago

Odeho19

Thanks Moderator Team, I figured a) you'd know, and b) it would be easy. Never really looked before, and don't use a laptop.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

elizbell. If you are still looking for an answer, could you please put it a New Topic.

This thread is now closed.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.