The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Cannot install windows XP service pack 3

(4 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by knolls80
  • Latest reply from Kelen
  • Topic Viewed 933 times

knolls80

Reinstalled windows XP home edition due to settings issues. The system restored was not coming up. I had windows XP service pack 3 prior to my computer having problems. I had uninstalled so I could reinstall original windows XP Home edition with the product key. I also reinstall service pack 2 with no problem. In order to update MaCafee and Internet explorer 8, I need to install service pack 3. I tried to install service pack 3 iso 9660 cd image file (only one available to download in Microsoft) and I get an error: this file does not have a program associated with it performing this action. Create an association in folder.

1. Cannot install Internet explorer 8 error: Internet explorer could no install because your computer failed to install a required update

2. Windows update: no option shows on add/remove program for windows updates me. Click to start and select windows update from there. I get the following error:
Files required to use windows updates are no longer registered or installed on your computer. Have an option to register or reinstall the files for me. It goes through the windows updates process the options to select are express get high priority updates or custom
I don't know what else to try. Couldn't install windows 8 As my computer did'nt meet the requirements of less than 3 years

Posted 2 years ago

neuroflare

"I tried to install service pack 3 iso 9660 cd image file (only one available to download in Microsoft) and I get an error: this file does not have a program associated with it performing this action."

Are you trying to run the ISO file as a program? Because if so that won't work. You need to burn/write that to a CD/usb drive/dvd using a disc image writer. ISO files are basically a disc in one file. I believe this program would suffice: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/.....sofile.htm

If not, disregard this whole post as I reread it, I think it might come off as condescending.

Posted 2 years ago

knolls80

Is it safe to download service pack 3 from another website other than Microsoft? I was no able to locate the regular download' but it's no listed and I can't install mCaFee without service pack 3.

Posted 2 years ago

Kelen

From Microsoft as an .EXE Windows XP SP3

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.