The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Cannot get online no matter what I try.

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by cosrocket
  • Latest reply from Straspey
  • Topic Viewed 661 times

cosrocket

I’ll try to be as succinct as possible…I cannot connect to the Internet with my wireless network in Windows Vista. I had no problem until a few days ago, but all of a sudden I cannot get online. The blue circle keeps spinning on the icon in the task bar…I click on the icon and click on my network and enter the password and after it tries to find the network for a while a window pops up that the network cannot be found. I click on troubleshoot and then get a message that there might be a problem with my router or network adapter. I know it’s not the router because I have other computers and devices connecting with no problem, and I checked the adapter in device manager and everything looks good there too. Once a message came up about something to do with DNS…I opened a command prompt and typed ipconfig /dnsflush…after that the icon in the taskbar looked like it was connected and said I had an internet connection but I still cannot get online.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do? I should also tell you that I did a system restore to an earlier time and that didn't help either.

Posted 1 year ago

Superevil

Did you uninstall the driver through device manager and restart the computer? Have you tried safe mode with networking?

Posted 1 year ago

cosrocket

I did try connecting in safe mode but no luck. I have not uninstalled the adapter because under device manager it said there is nothing wrong.

Posted 1 year ago

Superevil

Try uninstalling it anyway and restarting

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey

cosrocket -

Have you considered the possibility that your winsock may have become corrupted ?

This can cause connectivity issues.

I would suggest you download the free edition of SuperAntispyware from here:

http://www.superantispyware.com/

Once you've installed the software, run a full system scan - which may take a while. If it returns any results of malware and asks if you want to remove the bad files, answer YES.

After that's finished, reboot your computer and see if you can connect to the internet.

If you still are unable to connect:

First, I would suggest you make a new system restore point

Then, open SuperAntispyware and on the main page click on the tab which says "Repairs" on the bottom of the main page. Scroll down the menu until you locate the option for "Repair Broken Network Connection (Winsock LSP Chain). Check the box for that option then click "Repair Checked Items" and follow the directions. After it's over, you may have to re-boot your computer.

This may help solve the problem, since it seems as though you've tried everything else.

You could also do a Google search for Winsock LSP problem in Vista and see what you come up with.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.