SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) ~ Cannot Download Anything form the internet (Vista SP1)

(9 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by RedWolf55AJ
  • Latest reply from RedWolf55AJ
  • Topic Viewed 1550 times

Scott
Scott
Posts: 5618

Try this extension for video downloads in Firefox,
http://www.downloadhelper.net/install.php

Posted 5 years ago
Top
 
RedWolf55AJ
Posts: 6

anything for programs, images, and other files?

Posted 5 years ago
Top
 
RedWolf55AJ
Posts: 6

Bump, please.

I tried creating a new user (admin) account, but that did not fix anything... I am beginning to wonder if my two problems (Windows Explorer not available to any programs [foobar2000, Microsoft word, WinRAR, Firefox, IE7 etc] and Not being able to download anything from the internet) are related. It seems odd that Firefox and IE7 act normally with files until I would normaly be prompted to go into windows Explorer and pick a destination.

Is there anyone that can help me please?

Posted 5 years ago
Top
 
drifta
drifta
Posts: 446

try removing both ie7 and firefox and download ie 8beta 2, firefox again or google chrome and see if it works

Posted 5 years ago
Top
 
RedWolf55AJ
Posts: 6

Google chrome and FireFox Reinstall DO NOT Work. I tried them yesterday. I'll try the IE8 Beta now though...

Posted 5 years ago
Top
 
RedWolf55AJ
Posts: 6

Bump, because Safe Mode does not alter anything and IE8 does not help either. I was able to download files by opening another admin account on my computer, but the same Windows Explorer errors occur there as well.

Posted 5 years ago
Top
 
drifta
drifta
Posts: 446

ma y i suggest the removal of sp1 and reinstallation of sp1, this should fix any registry problems. i recently could not fix my autoplay and dvd/cd drive was screing up and after the reinstallation of sp1 it all works perfectly. make sure you backup any sensitive/important data just incase something goes wrong.

Posted 5 years ago
Top
 
RedWolf55AJ
Posts: 6

I realized what I did wrong. My problem is now fixed. Both of them.

What I did to cause the problem was remove 4 files (.dll files) from the C:\Windows folder.
3 of them were necessarily replaced in order to run custom themes.

But the fourth was one I had forgotten to replace. It was called browseui.dll
Once I replaced that one with the original copy I had, Windows did not even require a reboot. It was like all had been forgiven.

But I made a system restore point just in case.

so in conclusion, all I needed to do was replace a .dll from the C:/Windows folder.

Thanks all!

Posted 5 years ago
Top
 



Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.