The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Cannot detect wired or wireless cards

(6 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by 1ydoctor1
  • Latest reply from scorpion99
  • Topic Viewed 3590 times

1ydoctor1

I have just reinstalled windows xp home on my desktop, now it will not connect to the internet because it says it cannot detect wired or wireless network cards installed. I use a home network and the other computers are fine. how did I lose these cards and can I get them back. Thank you for your help
Roy

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

I think you will find it's only the drivers you have lost. Have a look in Device Manager > Network adapters. Are they marked with an exclamation mark.

Posted 3 years ago

fooBar
fooBar

1ydoctor1, you will have to use another computer and go to the manufacture's site (Dell, HP) in the support area to download all the drivers you need. As LH mentioned, your missing drivers will be shown in the device manager. Usually audio, video and networking drivers are needed at least.

PS> do not download third party drivers. This can be dangerous, virus prone, unsupported and unstable. Reason I mention that, If you search google for drivers you will see many sites that will try to sell you tools and drivers. Only use the ones from the manufacture.

Posted 3 years ago

1ydoctor1

There is no listing for network adapters in device manager, the only thing i could find was other devices, ethernet devices, but in order to get drivers for this, I had to connect to the internet which i cannot do. Am i headed in the right direction, Thanks.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

1ydoctor1

Type in run box:

msinfo32.exe <enter>

Check under Componets section
Problem Devices

What do you see EXACTLY ??

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

check the type and model of your wireless card ...
use other pc connected to the internet , download the right driver for it (windows xp home edtition) then try to install it on your pc.
Check if you have the CD for that wireless card from the manufacturer , if yes , the driver should be located on it.
if you have another partition , try to see if there is a folder called drivers or something like that , sometimes the ones who sells you the PC leave a copy of the drivers on your hard disk on a second partition...

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!