SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Cannot detect hdd after format and bootmgr is missing. PLS HELP!

(18 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Dannydxl
  • Latest reply from Dannydxl
  • Topic Viewed 7596 times

Dannydxl

Here's the deal. I start up my laptop(toshiba a300) today and It wouldn't startup due to an error I can't recall. But anyway I decided to format my hdd to install a fresh copy of windows vista(which was my current OS before format). My laptop bluescreened and when it restarts it says "bootmgr is missing press ctrl+apt+delete to restart" and the same message appears after reboot. I have a windows xp and vista disc with me. I have already tried to install xp but no hard drive gets detected and Im guessing that's because my harddrive was wiped clean after format
And may it lost it's driver. So all I have now is three partitions
Partition 1- 280gigs -emty and where my OS use to be
Partition 2- 7gigs- emty and I think win re was in this but now it's gone
Partition 3- 7gigs- HDDRECOVERY- came with laptop and I heard I can recover my laptop if I can access it. I've tried pressing f8 at start but bootmgr error appears. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Which EXACT model of A300 ????
There are (5) listed under product support menu.
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi...../home.jsp#

Posted 5 years ago

Bartman

Is this what you're looking for? Page 62.
http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.co.....8Aug05.pdf

Posted 5 years ago

Dannydxl

The model is A300-034 and I don't think that will make big of a difference. I've managed to fix the bootmgr problem but I can't access the HDDRECOVERY partition which appears to be the only way I can succesfully download windows.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Dannydxl,
Start reading at Page 62 from <Bartman's> link above.
Hold Down [ Zero ] Key when machine boots.
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Dannydxl

I treks that but I don't get that recovery screen but rather a normal startup with the press f2 and f12 to get boot manager. I didn't pick any of them and then it takes me to a "windows is loading..." screen. I've let it load for an hour and it never loads. I've tried it over and sometimes it stops in the middle And never loads. And now the HDDRECOVERY partition is the C: drive. And even if I don't press anything during startup I get this windows is loading text again. One time it loaded and said advanced boot options but there is no "repair my computer" nor is there any restor

Posted 5 years ago

Dannydxl

My of kind of option. Sry bout the grammar I am on my touch. So anyways I never get these screens should on sites. Thank for trying. Greatly apprciated.

Posted 5 years ago

Dannydxl

*showed. *repair my computer kind of option.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Dannydxl, do you have Recovery Discs that were made with the Recovery Disc Creator (pg. 59)? These can also be used to restore the system as described on page 65. If you don't have them, you can contact Toshiba to get a set.

Posted 5 years ago

Dannydxl

I don't think theyre free and I don't have money to buy one. Im 16. Does any pone know why my hddrecovery partition is C: now. Also can I use it without an OS installed because I've seen guides on it and on the screenshots it says windows vista as the operating system.

Posted 5 years ago

Bartman

Did you do this?

1.Turn off computer

2.Press and HOLD the 0 (zero) key

3.Power on computer

If you get the recovery screen, I suggest recover to out of box state.
Page 63.

Posted 5 years ago

Dannydxl

I tried and I don't get recovery option

Posted 5 years ago

Bartman

Looks like your only option is getting the disks from Toshiba.
Some companies will send them to you for the cost of shipping.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

You didn't answer the question: do you have Recovery discs that were made from the system? These are "free" as long as you make them before trouble starts and you do have to provide the blank discs.

I thought that your system will not boot to Windows, so how do you know that the HDDRecovery partition is assigned C: as a volume letter? What are you booting into? If you can see the C: drive, what files are on it? Some of these recovery partitions have known disk image files, such as those made by Norton Ghost.

To use the system without an OS installed, you could boot from a Linux Live CD. Ubuntu is a good choice since it comes with lots of apps pre-installed. You can even use it to look around for files that might still be on the hard drive. You will need a working system to create the Ubuntu CD unless you already have one or can borrow one.

Posted 5 years ago

Dannydxl

Well I saw the c drive through a copy of a vista installation disc which can't install for some reason. I tried installing 98 but it format my entire disk when I thought it meant just one partition. Now I've also lost my hddrecovery partition. Guess I'll just have to order a toshiba recovery disc but I'm curious about one thing? Does it include windows vista in it?

Posted 5 years ago

Dannydxl

I won't use the Linux or ubuntu OSs because I have no knowledge of them and none of those CDs neither do anyone I know.

Posted 5 years ago

Dannydxl

And no ScottW I don't have the recovery discs

Posted 5 years ago

Dannydxl

ok i managed to get the recovery Dvds but when they i try and boot off it, it says "windows is loading files..." and the bar loads up and nothin elese appears. does any one know what this means? i also tried to install windows vista (retail version image torrent) and put in my product key later on. The installation gets to the point where it says expanding files and then it i get a BSOD. I've tried it over several times and i get a BSOD in different parts of the installation. the farthest ive got is when the installation is installing updates. Ive formatted the disk several times also and im wondering if this somehow damages my HDD. Does any one know about this.

Anyways im completely lost now my laptops been down for a month now and ive also called tech support and they are suggesting its a hardware problem. Ive installed xp before so im not sure they're right. Does any one know whats going on here? Any help would be appreciated.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.