The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Cannot delete files

(17 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by nell
  • Latest reply from nell
  • Topic Viewed 743 times

nell

Just trying to delete some old files left on computer by previous owner. I go to delete,and a notation comes up "Name too long for recycle bin do you want to permanently delete it? I press "Yes to all" Then another notation comes up with a bling sound and a box with red cross top right corner saying "Cannot delete file now, not valid, name too long, specify in a different file name" or words to that effect. Running Windows XP SP3
Any ideas anyone?
Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Can you rename the files to something much shorter ?

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

nell, is this a folder or individual files.
You might find it easier to delete them individually. Is this the same machine you referred to in previous posts?

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=36

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=13

I thought you had reinstalled the OS so why are the files still there.

Reboot the machine after deletion.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Looks like it wasn't a clean install.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Yep, remember XP had the facility to recover and keep previous settings

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Thanks for the replies, am going to study them now. It is another pc altogether, someone kindly gave me, its very old but works ok and am just going thro it to clean it up. My other pc is working absolutely brilliantly now after all the aggro.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I would suggest you do a clean install if possible. Much better to start afresh.

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Thanks for that Lighthouse, I am only going to use this as a "first reserve" in the event my other one goes wrong again, as I had to keep borrowing someone's computer just recently otherwise I would have been stumped. I am certainly going to give myself a break from anything too complicated with it, maybe will, but am hanging on until early next year to get myself a new one with Windows 8 and get rid of one of these old bangers.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

The reason I said that, is because you may never know what nasties may exist in the system. I do clean installs on new computers I buy, let alone the ones that come in for repair. You can never be too careful.

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Right, thanks for the advice, noted for some future job, have put it on the list.

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Just reverting back to my original post, all is ok now, seems strange that a long named file cannot be deleted, I just gave them a short 4 letter name and they were deleted pronto. Worth bearing in mind for anyone who does not know ,as I didn't, keep your file names short.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

As I sort of mentioned in my first post. Windows can't handle a lot of things. Sometimes you have to get the hammer to it.

Posted 1 year ago

nell

After you with the hammer!!!!!

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Be my guest. I live at number 1047.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Ouch!

Posted 1 year ago

ianmagic

i would recommend you to refresh your system

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Just about recovered my equilibrium, I did like the hammer song, I would have substituted my pc in place of the various heads a few weeks ago. Noted the advice Ian, thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.