The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Cannot delete file in C drive.

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Diablos
  • Latest reply from silhouttejames
  • Topic Viewed 474 times

Diablos

Hi there. So, my issue is that I have this file in my C drive that I cannot delete. The file name is 386ee783362b5c2392. Originally it had a lock symbol on it, but I managed to get that to go away. It says I have full permission to do what I wish... But I still can't seem to be able to delete it. It says I need permission from SYSTEM to delete the file. Please help.

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

Diablos, hi.

Unless you're assured that files in that folder are causing issues then yes make sure you're signed in with an admin account and attempt to delete it, otherwise I wouldn't touch it.

Posted 1 year ago

owen123
owen123

Follow This Article

Then once followed, find the folder, right click, take ownership.

Just beware, I have told you how to do it, but as CompWiz said, deleting files you don't know what they do, is a recipe for disaster.

If it bothers you that much, right click it, once taking ownership, then check hidden, then you can't see it!

Owen

Posted 1 year ago

RRRoman

I have the same problem... although in my case it's a folder with similar name that contains a bunch of eula files in .rtf format presumably created by Visual Studio and that I can't delete. (the weird thing is that for some reason this folder also got into my external HDD. I did not try to take ownership. However I went into the lusrmgr.msc and activated the administrator account, logged in to this account and tried to delete the folder and for some reason I still did not have the rights to do that... I'm going to try take ownership as described in the folder if that doesn't work my next move is to install Linux partition and go "sudo rm -rf " on that folder`s ass. Because while I could accept VS creating that crap on the same HDD that it is being installed on.. to spread it everywhere is a step to far...

Posted 1 year ago

silhouttejames

Fast Duplicate File Finder
can help you locate duplicate files that are located in one or more folders. The duplicates are presented as groups and you can either manually check the files to be processed or use the auto-check feature to automatically check files with older file dates. Additional options allow you to exclude files from being auto-checked if they match certain criteria (extension, size, string etc.). The selected files can then be deleted or moved to a different folder. Other features include an integrated preview, system file protection, support for removable media and more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLPNq6JjZaU

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!