The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Cannot delete favorite from Favorites Bar in IE

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by cosrocket
  • Latest reply from alexak
  • Topic Viewed 4554 times

cosrocket

I am having this problem in Internet Explorer in Windows 8, but I have also had the same problem with IE in Windows 7. I have a favorites folder in my IE favorites bar that I cannot delete. When I right click on the folder in the favorites bar and left click delete, a window pops up with the following message:

Could not find this item
This is no longer located in C:\Users\MyName\Favorites\Favorites bar. Verify the item’s location and try again.
Try Again Skip Cancel

When I had this problem quite a while ago in Windows 7, I googled it and found a way to delete it that took several steps, including some cmd prompts but stupidly I did not save it a now I cannot find it.

Does anyone know the process to delete this? I have no idea why this particular folder that I named tech is giving me this problem. I have had no problem removing other folders from the favorites bar in IE, other than this one. Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

just a thought ....
try running Ccleaner.

when youre done running it. switch over to Ccleaners "registry cleaner" and hit the scan for issues button. then amongst the the entries that show see if you see one that shows the path to typed in above or that has the name of the folder youre talking about.

in the meantime, if i find a link that might be the one you were talking about - ill post it.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Hi cosrocket ,

What shows in the folder when you type c:\users\yourname\Favourites ?

The reason I ask is because it is asking to look for the file/folder within \Favourites bar, however it may have been moved to \Favourites.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Right click on the taskbar > Toolbars > check "Links". Then click on the chevrons next to Links . There you can delete favorites from the Favorites bar > just right click on the favorite in question.

Posted 1 year ago

cosrocket

None of the suggestions so far have worked unfortunately, but thanks for trying.

Posted 1 year ago

cosrocket

From what I remember this was not such an easy fix. It took multiple steps but eventually I was able to delete the folder from the IE favorites bar. Kicking myself for not having saved it.

Posted 1 year ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

Try to create the folders manually with the same names again in the mentioned location , or you can simply copy and paste them from another computer .
Note that you can also create a new account on your pc and once logged in with it , you can copy its favorites to your current user.
Once done , you can try to delete them as u were trying.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

How about saving your favourites and disabling IE > Rebooting > Turn it back on and reinistate your favourites. Make sure you've got another browser to act as default before you try this. I don't know W8 so can't tell you how to do it...it's in Programs and Features in W7.

Posted 1 year ago

alexak
alexak

could you try to right click on any of the saved web page on the Favorites Bar -- properties - general tab -- search for the location details manually go to that location (probably it would look like this "C:\Users\my name\Favorites\Links") location on and delete the records.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!