SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Cannot connect to the internet, only option is system restore!

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Garczynski
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 534 times

Garczynski

Hey guys :)
I received a Packard Bell TK for Christmas and all has been working great up until about 2 weeks ago.
It seems that every time I turn on my laptop, that yellow triangle which tells me that "Additional login information may be required" appears.
However, when I open up my browser and I try to go onto Google or whichever website, I get a "DNS lookup failed" error.
I've found the only way to get the Internet working again is to do a system restore and this is not ideal!

Now I've read through a forum where someone had a similar but also dissimilar problem to me so I started a new forum! (Hope that's OK)
I use Google Chrome but I've also tried running Firefox but still having major trouble connecting to anything.
It would be worthy to point out that other devices such as the home computer and my android phone have no trouble connecting to the internet.

Any help at all guys would be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks in advance,

~Andrew

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Andy, it seems you've got a connection problem and hence you can't 'get out'.

On the lower right is your Systray. on it should be either a set of bars or what looks like a monitor or two. Right mouse button on this and go to NETWORK AND SHARING center. What do it say? Private network or something else? Then the CHANGE ADAPTER SETTINGS, how many are there? Any disabled? Any showing that there are connections available?

I suspect you are wireless and for some reason your connection data isn't being saved? That is really what the Yellow Triangle says and "Additional login information may be required" really means... either it has NOT saved your password or some setting is wrong, SSID, encryption, etc. Probably the reason a restore works is that it requires that information to be entered when you first install and it sees a network connection.

Confirm that this is the case and what you see please?

Normally you'd be able to connect again via that icon on the lower right with the yellow triangle. Hover over it and you should see connections available. Click on that and enter the correct info and you show connect and it should SAVE that data (may need to check a box).

If this doesn't happen, what is your network device, a USB device or on-board device?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Garczynski

Hi ispalten and thanks for the quick reply.

In the "Change adapter settings" in Network and Sharing Center, I have 3 connections. Two which have an X on them (Not working) and one that is currently working (Because I did another system restore). This is my home network (Which is private, a WPA key protected router), which I am connecting to wirelessy. My network device to which I am connected is a Linksys router.

When I hover over the icon in the lower right (which is an icon showing full bars for connection) it says Vodafone wifi-736d and underneath it says "Internet access". When i boot up my laptop, the icon at the bottom right shows up with the yellow triangle straight away thus forcing me to restore the system to an earlier point. Also, it shows up that my WiFi is there (because it automatically connects) but it says "no internet access" and will not connect to any browser.

Thanks for your help
~Andrew

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

How about deleting all the ones you are not using. Then disable and re-enable the one that is left

Posted 1 year ago

Garczynski

I tried this too to no avail.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Delete it and remove it from Device manager then reboot. Have you updated any drivers? The driver could be corrupt.

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

Also try in Network and Sharing Center > Manage wireless networks > right click on Vodafone wifi-736d, choose Remove network, Choose Yes to confirm the removal. Restart and recreate the network (make sure Connect automatically is checked).

Posted 1 year ago

Garczynski

Have tried all of these solutions, thanks. To update the drivers do I just go to Device Manager ---> Drivers ---> Right-Click drivers ---> Update? (Or something similar) I put it into hibernate last night and seems to be ok but it would be nice if I could get a more permanent solution :)

~Andrew

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

It's best to go go to either PB's, or the devices site, and download the drivers directly from their support section.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.