How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

cannot access Windows after use of EasyBCD

(2 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Ocurrente
  • Latest reply from ATULZGR8
  • Topic Viewed 373 times

Ocurrente

Hello Everybody

Originally, I had a Dell Laptop with Windows 7 pre-installed. First i created partitions to install Ubuntu, but after several months i got rid of it and decided to install Windows XP. But after installing it, i couldn't access to Windows 7. So, to "resolve" the problem i used EasyBCD. Now I get the screen to choose between both operative systems but i can access neither windows7 nor windowsXP. When i choose Windows7 it starts loading but a blueescreen interrupts and the computer reboots, it's so fast i can't even see what the bluescreen says. When i choose WindowsXP, throws me this:

Windows Boot Manager has experienced a problem.
File: /ntldr
Info: The selected entry couldn't be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

I have seen solutions that use EasyBCD to fix these dual-boot problems, but i cannot access to any operative system. I'm looking for a solution that use a LiveCD or something like that, In fact, right now, i am writing from a live cd session of Xubuntu.
I have access to all the partitions files and access to recovery tools of windows 7.

This is how my HD looks according to Gparted:

/dev/sda1 DELL-UTILITY 100.00MB fat16
/dev/sda2 RECOVERY 14.65GB ntfs
/dev/sda3 WINDOWS-7 51.01GB ntfs
/dev/sda4 - - extended
/dev/sda5 - 8.00GB ext3
/dev/sda6 - - linux-swap
/dev/sda7 STORAGE 99.99GB ntfs
/dev/sda8 WINDOWS-XP 289.50GB ntfs

I don't really care if i can't access windows 7. Right now, i only want to be able to use windows xp again, because i can reinstall windows 7, but i want to avoid WindowsXP reinstallation

Could you please help me with this mess?

Posted 1 year ago

ATULZGR8

This Problem arises when you Install a Earlier Version of OS on a Machine with Later Version.

Windows Boot manager for the Latest Version works for All the earlier versions but opposite is not True and obviously when you installed Windows XP on a machine already running Win. 7, Windows Boot manager Issue aroused.

One Solution is, either You get Boot Manager from a working Windows 7 machine and place it in your machine using EasyBCD or any program which lets you access the hdd.

Alternatively, You will have to install Windows 7 and later Use EasyBCD to make already installed Windows XP as another Booting OS.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.