The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Cannot access 10.0.0.2 - ADSL Router

(12 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by zirkj
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 43766 times

zirkj

Hi all, I am new to this site and hope somebody can help.

I have a problem accessing my ADSL Router with the 10.0.0.2 address. It used to work fine and I'm not sure what/when changed. I can ping it but when I try to access it via IE7 it says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".

I use Windows XP(fully updated), AVG antivirus free edition, Windows firewall and further nothing out of the ordinary. I have a small home network with two XP machines and one Vista home basic(64 bit) machine. Within the network all works fine - shares, pings,ip address renewal etc.

Something I have also noticed that may give an indication to the issue is that I cannot ping Google, Yahoo, Microsoft and others. I also tried to ping www.howtogeek.com with no luck!

It may have something to do with my firewall setup - but I don't know my ICMP from my Upnp :-(

Please help.

Thanks in advance!

Posted 6 years ago

zirkj

Hi guys???

Anybody out there?

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman

I'm not at home, so I'm trying to do this from memory....
Start...Run... type in cmd then enter. In the dos box type ipconfig

your ip should be: 10.0.0.xxx (where the xxx will be a number in the range of 0 to 100, but should not be 2)
your subnet mask should be 225.225.0.0
your gateway should be 10.0.0.2

if those settings are correct, try disabling your firewall and see if you can get through.

Posted 6 years ago

zirkj

This is my current config - and believe me, I have tried everything (even reset windows winsock, firewall off, reset ip stack etc.)

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MyPC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS191 Ethernet Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-B9-68-33-24
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 08 April 2008 08:24:23 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 09 April 2008 08:24:23 PM

Thanks,

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman

Put up your router brand and model too if you could. I can't do much from work on this one, but I'll look into it when I get home tonight.

Posted 6 years ago

zirkj

Hi,

The router does not have a make or model on it. It was supplied by Telkom(South Africa's major fixed line provider) and only has the Telkom branding on it.

It is a 4 port ethernet modem/router and from what I can remember from installing it the first time, it was a pretty basic router with a basic setup.

Thanks,

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman

I'll see what I can dig up and get it up tonight so you will have something to look at when you get up in the morning.

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman

I couldn't find anything helpful I fear, however it does sound similar to an issue I ran into once (probably why this stuck with me) so here are two things you can try.
1) Physically disconnect your router/modem from the power supply (unplug it/them) and power down your pc. Give them a good 30 count (to allow the capacitors to discharge) then plug them back in. Once they are powered back up turn your pc back on and see if you still have an issue.

If you still have a problem, then the issue is probably on your service providers end. You will need to call your service provider and they will have you repeat step 1 above. After you tell them it did not work, they will have you repeat step one but tell you to give it a good 60 count while they reset you on their end. When you power back up and reboot pc odds are you will be good.

Good Luck, cause if that does not work I fear that I am out of ideas!

Posted 6 years ago

zirkj

Thanks a lot - will give it a try.

Cheers,

Posted 6 years ago

whs

The routers I know also have a small button in the back that sets them back to factory specifications. After activating that, you have to set it up again, but if it worked before, it may work again. The trick that Budohorseman described worked a few times for me too.

Posted 6 years ago

stedag

hi can any1 help me i have a adsl 4 port router but cannot get it to connect to the internet i have checked that the settings are correct with the default gateway and ip address but it still will not connect i can connect to the router but not the internet can some1 help please

Posted 5 years ago

Scott

stedag, thank you for taking the time to search our forums. You will be better served by starting a fresh topic.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.