SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Can you upgrade the RTM with the retail Upgrade license?

(8 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Moondoggy
  • Latest reply from Maddmaxx
  • Topic Viewed 3789 times

Moondoggy

I've been seeking advice and hope that someone on this site can give me a straight answer.

I had a spare license of Windows XP Pro so when the Windows upgrade discount program was announced, I ordered the Windows 7 Business Pro Upgrade a few weeks ago. I was going to use that spare XP license on a new system I just built but a friend of mine, who's a Technet subscriber, let me use his Windows 7 RTM copy that he was not going to use. Our thought was that we could simply use the license key from the upgrade copy of Windows 7 Business Pro to transfrom the Windows 7 RTM copy that I now have installed to a licensed copy of Windows 7.

I was wanting to confirm that everything would be OK using the upgrade license key to register the RTM version before I started loading all of my software and files to my new PC and someone on another forum suggested that the upgrade license key will not work to register the RTM as an official licensed copy of Windows 7. Does anyone know if this is true? If so is there any known way to use the upgrade copy to upgrade the RTM in a similar manner as some people upgraded the RC to the RTM?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Moondoggy, hello. First of all, I think your friend may have violated the terms of his TechNet subscription. I'm pretty sure that a Windows 7 RTM license from TechNet is *not* transferable.

Which edition of Windows 7 RTM are you suggesting to upgrade from? There are Starter, Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate editions. Also, which Windows 7 Upgrade edition did you order? There is no "Business Pro". There is an Enterprise edition for business customers, but I don't believe you can purchase an upgrade for it.

P.S., you can try the information in my previous post about Windows 7 upgrade paths for consumers (not business users).

Posted 5 years ago

Moondoggy

I currently have the windows 7 professional (64 bit) RTM installed and what I have on order is the windows 7 professional upgrade. What I've been told on another forum is that the RTM will not accept the Upgrade license key as the RTM is the full retail version vs the upgrade which is an "upgrade version". The guy on the other forum said that not only was I going to have to remove Windows RTM but that I would have to install Windows XP on the machine before the upgrade would worked.

So, If this is true is there a way around this situation that would let me do an "upgrade" in place? Besides the time would it be better change my order to the full retail copy just so I can register and not touch my existing installation. Someone said that If I could get a discount code and join Technet for less than $300 I could do that too. What this person was suggesting is that for Technet subscribers the license key used for RTM is the official license key for the product, not some temporary license key.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Yes, that sounds right, though I can't be 100% certain. The license key from TechNet is a full retail key, not temporary, but this one does not belong to you. To use the Professional Upgrade license that you have purchased legally, you need to have an activated copy of Windows installed.

As I recall, Vista was fairly loose about the upgrade paths and you could upgrade from Vista to Vista. That's how folks were able to use an Upgrade disc to do a clean install with the original release. That capability was removed in later Vista releases, and I would expect Windows 7 will be more rigid about the rules. It certainly makes sense that you could not install an Upgrade over a Retail version of Windows 7. Since a Retail license is better than an Upgrade license, this would be a downgrade! Very confusing.

Also, as I understand it, an upgrade from and to the same version of Windows (Vista to Vista, or 7 to 7) is considered an Anytime Upgrade and you would need to follow the WAU path to do it. Bottom line, I think you should do a clean install of your Windows 7 Professional Upgrade over the activated XP Pro when you receive the Upgrade copy that you ordered.

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

The RTM doesn't expire does it? Why would you need to upgrade it? Through school i have access to MSDNAA. I have Windows 7 Pro RTM and it does not expire. Sorry if i misunderstand, but again...why upgrade an RTM?

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

InDiSent, I expect that Moondoggy is wanting to install the legally purchased Upgrade Edition of Windows over-top of the currently installed, but not owned, Retail edition. Probably to avoid having to reinstall applications, drivers and such. It's not an attempt to upgrade the RTM, but to do an in-place install of the Upgrade edition, which I don't believe is supported.

Posted 4 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

Aha!

Posted 4 years ago

Maddmaxx

Yes exactly, I have been trying to figure out how to do this as well, for quite some time, I guess lesson learned... Don't actually use any MS Technet releases unless you plan to lose all of your settings when you upgrade to your legal, bought copy... Once again they shoot themselves in the foot...

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.