SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

(Solved) - can you store all your games together online?

(6 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by snickers127
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1165 times

snickers127

Hello there,

im not very good with the computer, but I do like to use it to play games. I have a notebook, Eee pc, and it gets slow very quickly. is there a way to keep my games together and online so that they arent stored on my computer? would googles chrome keep games online? on my email account, it says i have so many GB's of storage with none used but how do you use it to store anything?

one other question is i dont use my computer for that many things, just email and such, and my passwords are saved. when my grandkids are over, i always end up with problems. if i delete history and cookies and such, i lose my passwords.will having a guest account for them help or would it make my notebook (1GB) slow down more?

thank you very much!

Posted 3 years ago

warlock

Why not just store them on a cd or dvd disc?

Posted 3 years ago

whs

Your Netbook will not get any faster if you store your games in some other place. But if you are tight for space on the disk, you can get a 2.5" USB powered disk and put them there. Online is probably not such a good idea because of slow line speeds.

You did not say which operating system you run. I assume Vista or Windows7 and for those using the Eee with only 1GB of RAM you should not expect any performance wonders. The 1.6GHz Atom processor in your system is very slow and 1GB is the bare minimum that will lead to a lot of page faults. Your disk is probably a 5400 RPM rotating HDD which will not help in all of that.

There is little you can do about the performance because you cannot change the CPU and 1GB of RAM is probably the maximum that your board allows. A faster disk, e.g. an SSD is an option but that costs $150 to $200. Else you could switch to Linux which would run faster on that system - but that is a very different OS and will require a lot of education.

A guest account is OK - it will just take a bit of disk space but will not slow down the system. But I am not sure what you would accomplish with that.

Accepted Answer · Posted 3 years ago

snickers127

Hello There!

Thank you for the solutions. i have nothing but problems with this laptop and i wish i had my old computer back. I cant complain about a gift, but they see the problems with their own eyes anyway, and all say "you have too many things on there".

i went to walmart today and explained what i needed but i bought a usb drive not a disc. he said it was the same thing. if not it was only $14 dollars.

If a guest account wont stop them from fooling around adding things i dont want and changing my settings, how about restoring it to an earlier time afterwards? i did try that, but kept getting message that it failed and to chose another date, but always recieved the same failure when i did so(only chose dates highlighted as restore points). i found several instructions here about making my own restore point that i will try once i figure out if it will solve the problem.

i will try to use this usb today, and thank you sincerely. This is a wonderful site!

My sincere appreciation for your time, and have a blessed day.

Posted 3 years ago

snickers127

Also, i thought it would take a few days for an answer if i got any at all! my apology for such a belated thank you and reply. if i ever need to ask you something in the future, i will check back the same day.

thank you

Posted 3 years ago

whs

You are welcome snickers. Any time - and there is no time limit.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.