The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

CAN XP-PRO-32BIT BE ADDED AS 2ND OS TO VISTA 64-BIT

(4 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by davidplotkin
  • Latest reply from davidplotkin
  • Topic Viewed 1462 times

davidplotkin

Machine: HP 6500t with Vista Ultimate 64-bit.
Task: create 2nd bootable OS of XP-32-bit.
I have a separate external hard drive I can use to house the 2nd OS, or I can do it on space on the original hard drive.

Questions:
1) Can these 2 operate on the same laptop? (I have seen the How-To Guides for instructions).
2) How do I get hardware drivers to work with the 32-bit XP?

Posted 7 years ago

mysticgeek

I am thinking you will need separate drivers for the XP partition.

Posted 7 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

0) You may have to use the original hard drive as usually you can't install and run Windows off of an external drive (Assuming it's USB or Firewire, I have no idea about eSATA drives).

1) They should. I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work on a Laptop if it works fine on a Desktop.
I have only done on a XP/Vista dualboot on a desktop though so I can't be 100% on that.
If you are installing XP 2nd you will need to fix the boot loader so both will work using a guide like this one.
2) You can look on HP's driver page at http://welcome.hp.com/country/.....ay=drivers to see if there are XP Drivers available for your model laptop.

Edit: I just found the thread http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....-hp-laptop.
It appears you may have problems even if you install XP on your original hard drive.
That thread has instructions on making a custom XP disk with the hard drive drivers on if needed.

Posted 6 years ago

davidplotkin

Thanks - I appreciate the help. HP Phone Help today directed me to all their pages for xp drivers for my model.
The How-To Guide looks pretty good.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.