SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

can Windows 7 64-bit print to wireless printer?

(3 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by BigDogLucy
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 915 times

BigDogLucy

I recently upgraded one of my new PCs from Vista Home Premium 64-bit to Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
Since then I have not been able to print to my networked printer, an HP Photosmart C7180 All-in-One, which is wireless on my home network. When this PC was Vista, I was able to print. Two other PCs on my home network, both running XP, can access the printer across the network and print. This PC now running Windows 7 64-bit can find the networked printer when I "Add-a-printer", and I am able to finish the installation of the printer. I downloaded and installed new drivers for the HP C7180 from the HP website specifically for Windows 7 64-bit, so I have the latest drivers.
I have NOT been installing the printer as a shared device on any of the PCs, but rather want to be able to print from any of them, even if the other PCs are offline.
If I open and leave visible the print queue for the printer, and then print a Test Page, I see the print job briefly shown as "Printing" in the print queue display, but nothing ever reachs the printer. There are no error messages, either during the process of Adding the Printer, or when sending Test Pages, or other print jobs to the printer.
I have McAfee antivirus and Firewall installed on all of my PCs. The Firewall advanced setting for Networks shows that the IP address range for all of my IPs are trusted.
I have tried restarting the Print Spooler service, removed and reinstalled the printer a number of times, but to no avail. Any suggestions of diagnostic steps I might take would be most appreciated.

Posted 4 years ago

DarrellRaines

Have you tried creating a tcp_ip port to map it directly when adding the printer?

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Well I 'had' an HP wireless printer, the fairly new C309G model. I got this printer on Black Friday and it gave me fits. It was an N speed printer, and all I wanted to do was set it up to my router and then loaded everything needed on my W7 machine. I could NOT get it working satisfactorily at first. I got on line with HP and via phone. All I got out of that was I had back level drivers and applications, and a location to get the latest. I did that, and after over 6 hours on the phone over 3 different calls, I was able to figure out how to make it work.

First thing though, HP insisted on adding a string of ports to Windows Firewall, even though it wasn't being used and I have McAfee's active. As the tech was adding them I wrote them down (I no longer have that info, sorry) and saw later McAfee already had those open. So, one suggestion is just DISABLE your FW as a test to see if it is causing problems.

Oh, my problems, as I remember them as the printer was returned in a week, very similar to yours. Could NOT start a scan, always got an error back the device either was not there or was busy. Printing a picture, either printed partially or none at all. Printing a page, hit or miss, usually nothing printed. Only reliable thing that printed was the test page from the printer control app?

Like I said, I did GET it working. What I discovered was the printer had an HTML browser interface, that always worked. One of the settings, USE G if there was an error. My router was switched from N ONLY to MIXED and lo and behold, the printer worked fine. However my LAN speed was cut in 1/2. Worse, there was NO WAY to restore N operations... even calls to HP couldn't get that to work. So back it went.

Maybe this isn't exactly what you are seeing, but there are some things to try. One would be call HP, I think it is free. Second it check their website and get the latest drivers and utilities. If wirelessly connected to a router, change channels or connection speeds.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!