SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Can Outlook 2007 set a received email to auto-destruct?

(3 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by asfg812
  • Latest reply from asfg812
  • Topic Viewed 5087 times

asfg812

Here's my question. I get lots of email that I want to keep 3 or 4 days (like a sale announcement), but they either wind up hanging around long after needed OR getting deleted to avoid that.
Is there a way to set an email to self-delete at a set future time in Outlook?

I've recently started using Tagolocity and am getting my act together, this would help fine tune it.

Thanks

Posted 6 years ago

rbailin

Open the email and click on the tiny icon in the lower-right corner of the Option group icon. The window that pops up has a checkbox for Expires After. Check the box, fill in the date. Close the message and save the changes.

Under Tools->Options->Other->AutoArchive there's a checkbox for Delete Expired Items. Make sure this is checked.

In the mail folder's Properties, make sure AutoArchive for that folder is enabled.

Depending on how often AutoArchive is configured to run, the expired item may not disappear immediately, but it will eventually.

Bob

Posted 6 years ago

asfg812

Thanks! I'll give it a try. Now that my inbox is down to 12 emails, I'd like to keep it as empty as possible.

Since I intend to keep it empty in a GTD way, I'm tempted to experiment by checking the 'delete expired items' and then setting auto archive to run in my inbox only once a day. That way, the day it was set to expire it would be deleted.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!