The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - can ones install SATA3 in a SATA 2 interface

(9 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by PP3TNC
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 7493 times

PP3TNC

did SATA3 use a different interface comparing with SATA2?

mine is laptop, so will it work in my motherboard?

what should I pay attention to if I install SATA3 and put it into SATA2 connector?

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten

SATA3 uses the same 'connector' as SATA2. Same as SATA1 even. The electronics on both ends, the computer and device differ though.

SATA 3 and all SATA' devices are considered 'backwards compatible', that is if you connected a SATA III hard drive to a computer that has SATA II built-in, the drive will only operated at the speed of SATA II level. In effect, you'd not get any better performance that you would with a SATA II device (and waste your money you paid extra to get SATA III).

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

whs

Well, in principle Irv is right, but the matter is a bit more subtle.

I assume you are talking about a Sata 3 SSD in a Sata 2 port. That could still be benificial. Although the maximum data transfer rate will require Sata capabiity (6Gb/sec), most operations will be running at a much lower transfer speed where the 3Gb/sec of the Sata 2 is sufficient. That has to do with the blocksize.

The maximum capability of an SSD is given for the maximum blocksize. However, most operations (of the OS) are done with 4K or 8K blocks. And here the transfer speed is a lor lower. See in the measurement picture of one of my SSDs. The numbers are in GB - assume 10Gb for one GB. That is not quite correct but close enough.

Posted 3 years ago

PP3TNC

I am confused, as ASUS etc motherboard manufactures have different interface in their MB, 4 SATA2 and 2 SATA3, if they are the same interface, why they made additional interface in the MB, just 6 the port is fine, why?

Posted 3 years ago

Lighthouse

SATA 1, 2, and 3 are not the same interfaces. They are all compatible, but Irv is correct in what he said before.

Posted 3 years ago

whs

It would help if you told us what you want to put on the Sata 3 port.

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten

The confusion is because of the word 'interfaces'. There are two parts to using the device, how it connects between the itself and the host (motherboard in this case), and how they communicate (electronics/handshaking).

All SATA devices connect with the same cable (other than e-SATA which is a special case). The electronic/handshakes vary by version of SATA. Just like Wireless Routers, they can have A, B, G, or N speeds. Depending on router settings, you can have all computers connected to it with varying h/w speeds. Unlike SATA though, which manages each cable individually, a router will drop to the lowest speed of all devices.

Why 4 of one speed and 2 of another, probably two reasons. Many people have the older SATA i and II devices already so they'd connect it to those connections, secondly, SATA III is more expensive for the components to produce, hence motherboard costs are higher, and there are probably less devices for it now. Me, at this point in time I'd only buy a motherboard that has USB 3.0 and SATA III suport. I know I'll need it later.

Irv S.

Accepted Answer · Posted 3 years ago

PP3TNC

so can I install SATA2 in a SATA3 device, as I see a motherboard which display it have SATA 6Gb/s for HDD device, it means SATA 3, so the board didn't have any SATA 2 port in the board?

2.will SATA 2 HDD be used in this board?

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten

Every SATA port and cable IS backwards compatible. You can put a SATA III drive into a SATA II port and visa versa.

If you put a SATA II drive on a SATA III port you might even see a slight performance gain vs. a SATA II port even.

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.