How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

can not set any printer as default printer

(7 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by BigJiggz
  • Latest reply from sunstreakedsky
  • Topic Viewed 53636 times

BigJiggz

hello everyone
i've been installing pinter recently, after that when i try to set it as default it generates this error "operation could not be completed error (0x00000709). double check the printer name and make sure that printer is connected to the network". and since then i'm getting this error whit all printers , the ones already been installed and new installed. somehow i can print but still can't set any printer to be my default , so can anyone help me please. the operating system is Windows 7 64bits.

thanks and regards,
BigJiggz

Posted 2 years ago

asitnik

Be very careful when working directly with the registry. I do not take responsibility for any consequences. (end of disclaimer)

The fix, which worked for me yesterday, is simple:
Go to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\ -If the Windows key doesn't exist, create a new key;
Then check for the following entry (or create it if it is not there)
Name: Device
Type: Reg_SZ (String Value)
Value: winspool,Ne00 <-- if there is anything else there, change it to this value.
Should you be unable to save it, just make sure the user has Full (or special) access to the Windows key (by right-clicking on the key).

Posted 2 years ago

mkimak

I was having the same problem with a newly installed HP Officejet 6600 and Windows 7. Changed the registry value as instructed and worked perfectly. Thanks for the help. HP reps gave up after 2 1/2 hours of uninstalling/installing, etc.

Posted 2 years ago

nandakishore

It works asitnik, thanks

it really worked for me

Posted 2 years ago

bigredfunbus

Brilliant. Thank you. The directions were perfect. After a restart the problem was fully fixed

Posted 1 year ago

JohnLeach44

Asitnik - after spending a couple of days on repeat reinstalls, plus heading up all kinds of blind alleys supplied by other would-be advisors, your tip worked for me too. At first my edit wasn't accepted, but I worked out that I needed to give myself permission to edit the registry. Also the printer name needed to be corrected. Thank you very much!

Posted 1 year ago

sunstreakedsky

Hello,

I am a complete novice and am unable to set my printer as the default printer. I read your awesome instructions and am excited that they worked for people, but I have no idea what they mean. Can you be more specific for me?

How do I go to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\ ??? Is this within the computer or on the internet? I tried both, but have no idea what I'm doing. I also looked under regedit, but couldn't find this either. Please help! Thank you so much!!

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.