The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Can NOT find USB drive anywhere on computer

(3 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Drummer43
  • Latest reply from InDiSent
  • Topic Viewed 12512 times

Drummer43

yesterday i plugged in my USB drive into my computer. It didnt bring up the auto start window so i went into to My Computer and got into it through that. After that i unplugged it becuase i needed to dock my laptop to the docking station. I plugged it back in becuase i wanted to keep working on it but then again the auto start didnt appear. So i went into My Computer but it wasnt there. So then i went to see in the safely remove window and it didnt say it was there either. But then i unplugged it and turned the volume up, i plugged it in and i heard the connecting tone that you get anytime anything gets connected to your computer. So i tried looking for it again but i didnt find it. I tried something on this website which said to go to the disk management and try finding the drive there and then changing the drive letter to see if that was it but i couldnt find it there either. If you can help, please do so becuase i had some important files on it.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Do you hear one or two Windows sounds?
On my computer I have a Flash Drive that makes the connect sound and then the disconnect sound a few seconds later making it not usable.
It does work in another computer for me though.
If it's just one sound try checking in Device Manager for the drive.

Posted 6 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

It might be trying to use a drive letter that is already assigned. Check in computer management to see if it shows up there. Then all you would have to do is assign it a drive letter (if that's what the issue is).

Administrative tools > computer management > disk management.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.