SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Can I/Is it worth it to upgrade an Acer Aspire X3200 (Vista Home Premium)?

(14 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Needhelpbro
  • Latest reply from Needhelpbro
  • Topic Viewed 1472 times

Needhelpbro

Here are the specs(from what I can tell on the outside, the processor fried)

Genuine Windows® Vista® Home Premium
AMD Phenom™ X3 triple-core processor
NVIDIA® GeForce® 8200
NVIDIA® GeForce® 8200 on board graphics with NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400 discrete graphics
Award PnP BIOS compatible with SMBIOS 2.4
320GB HDD
14-in-1 Card Reader(I do not know what it specifically is)
DOLBY AUDIO

I want to know if I can upgrade it and if it is even WORTH to do it.(It has a small tower, not much taller than 1 foot.)

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Acer Aspire X3200 Series Specifications

http://support.acer.com/acerpa.....0sp5.shtml

Posted 1 year ago

Needhelpbro

That is also where I found and backed up the info I provided(That is how I have the full names.) But I want to know if upgrading is worth it, let alone possible.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Non economically repairable or upgradeable.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

Needhelpbro

So, basically saying, get a new computer?

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle

Agree with Rick says..non economical. Sales will soon be pushed in the Market place, so have a good look around.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

This is a good PC. Why would you want to upgrade it in the first place. I would recommend to install a SSD for the OS. That is easy and will give you a real boost. For the rest, I think, it is a very good system.

And if you go out and buy a new system, you get Windows 8 - Yuck. Who wants that.

Have a look at this.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

whs and I find we're disagreeing more these days.

Really not sure why ?? :)

The OP's machine is old DDR2 plus has 220W PSU and 4GB Ram MAX MB so can't upgrade much even if repairable.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Rick you are right. But not everybody needs the latest and best PC. That's why I asked the OP why he wants to upgrade in the first place. If he does not do heavy duty work, that PC will serve him well.

If, however, he does a lot of e.g. video encoding or other work intensive tasks, then more muscle would be good to have. Else, the SSD should give him a good boost.

Posted 1 year ago

Needhelpbro

This is actually for my step dad, he is one of those people who do not let go, this thing is DEAD. It cost to much and is to hard to replace, so I would assume just get a new Win7 desktop. Windows 8=Tablet Monkeys.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Yeah, is Non economically repairable or upgradeable plus is out-dated.

May be you could Build him a nice new machine if he give you the money to move forward ?? :)

Posted 1 year ago

whs

You say this thing is DEAD - dead in what sense. Is the hardware defunct or is the OS giving problems. Os problems can be fixed. Maybe it need only a clean reinstall. That can work wonders.

Posted 1 year ago

Needhelpbro

It could use a clean install I am PRETTY sure, but the backup was stored on a different thing when we got it and we do not have it anymore. And we are not willing to pay for a new one.

Posted 1 year ago

Needhelpbro

I will just consider solved because I learned it is not very upgradable/ worth it.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.