SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Can I watch movies on an SD card thru the tv?

(23 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by Cinnamon
  • Latest reply from nkavinash
  • Topic Viewed 17557 times

Cinnamon

Hi all :) I am wondering IF it is possible to put movies onto an SD card and watch them on a new lcd tv? I have a SD card input on the tv and I tired it already but nothing will show up on the tv. I believe the movie was in an avi file. IF this is possible, what format will work? It would be SO much easier than connecting my laptop everytime I wanted to watch a movie.

Thanking you ALL in advance,

Karen

Posted 3 years ago

hatryst

Hi Karen, a warm welcome to HTG forums. You have to read the manual of your TV to know which formats are supported. But if there's a particular format required, you can easily convert your movie file from .avi to that format, using the free converter, FormatFactory

Posted 3 years ago

Cinnamon

Thank you Hatryst......I will check the manual. Don't know why I didn't even THINK of that...lol. Thanks also for info regarding "Format Fatctory". That sounds like a great program. I LOVE this site. I've been using it now for a bout a year and I find it very informative.

Thanks again,

Karen :)

Posted 3 years ago

hatryst

No problem. Keep in touch :)

Posted 3 years ago

Cinnamon

Well......here I am again. I've read everywhere there is to on that tv and the online site and nowhere does it mention anything about watching video or anything other than pictures. I'm back at square one........

Does ANYBODY out there know if this is in fact possible? Not necessarily in MY circumstance but anywhere? I'm half thinking maybe I need some kind of 'reader' or something? ALSO, I'm thinking that maybe there has to be some sort of program put ON the sd card to enable it to work.

ANY feedback will be much appreciated :)

Thanks

Karen

Posted 3 years ago

LH

What is the make and exact model of the TV please.

Posted 3 years ago

Seasider2

EDIT: LH got ahead of me.

Posted 3 years ago

LH

That's ok Harry. I'll let you do the research :)

Posted 3 years ago

vistual

im inclined to say - No. It is NOT possible.
BUT since theres so many advances in technology - it seems everyday theres something else possible that simply wasnt before.

so - first things first - the make and model as LH mentioned - is needed to find some more info on exactly what youre working with.
2nd - it will either play the file or it wont - i dont think that theres anything you can "add to the sd card to enable it to work", as you said.

what youre talking about would be an awesome feature and people have been asking about that for quite some time now, which is why i said that the way things are going - its either possible already or might be soon. But dont give up - there are other devices that play tons of file formats that you can invest in and hook up, for example:
http://www.wdtvlive.com/
http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/
http://www.boxee.tv/
http://www.roku.com/
Again post back w/ the Make and Model so you can get a straight forward answer about you particular set.
fyi - boxee for me
: )

Posted 3 years ago

Seasider2

It would appear that the sd card slot only supports AVCHD, MPEG2 movies and JPEG Photos. The Panasonic TVs with sd card slot seem to support Panasonic still /video camera input. I think go with vistual, the answer is no. Use you computer to put the file on a usb drive. If your tv has a sd card slot I'm sure it will have a usb input which usually support at least avi and mkv files.

Harry

Posted 3 years ago

LH

How are you guys getting this info without make and model of TV ?

Posted 3 years ago

Seasider2

We is psychic innit man.

Posted 3 years ago

LH

LOL :):):)

Posted 3 years ago

marks100

just thought ide throw THIS in the works a little information..

mark.

Posted 3 years ago

Cinnamon

Thank you ALL VERY much for your replies!!!! I have lots to read now with your links and such. The make and model of my TV is the Panasonic Viera TC-P50C2. One of the first things I checked when I was buying this tv was if it had a usb input but it didn't. I know that alot of dvd players have them now but as for the moment I haven't got one yet..........So I'll leave you with that and thx again. Now I must check out your links :)

Posted 3 years ago

vistual

dont like being the one to say it but it does not look like that particular mk & mdl have that feature.
just going by what i quickly saw mentioned here ...
http://www.amazon.com/Panasoni.....=de_a_smtd

honestly - not sure if any do just yet ( at least i want to believe that since it will be a long while before i can splurge on another one LOL )

Posted 3 years ago

marks100

vis you can on the op's model i think read my link :) but most are played via - usb memory stick or hdd,

mark. on certain models ...Viera is a brand of flat screen television produced by Panasonic. As of July 2010, it is one of very few manufacturers of televisions to include a SD Card slot. Although Viera televisions manufactured before 2010 could not play any video files stored on a SD card, this feature was added in 2010, though it is limited to a few file type.... ect,ect, In Panasonic's 2010 range of flat screen televisions, only video files encoded in the DivX or AVC-HD format could be played in the Media Player software. This includes files with extensions such as .avi, .dixv, .m2ts, .mts and m2t. In this respect, Panasonic TVs compare poorly in the market as of July 2010, since a lot of other brands' TVs can play video files such as DivX HD and WMV, though almost always via a USB memory stick or external hard drive rather than a SD Card slot.

Posted 3 years ago

vistual

im not buying that psychic stuff...
you gotta tell me how you knew that without the op mentioning it!
LOL : )

well it definitely sounds interesting - VERY interesting.
would like to hear back from OP - hopefully s/he gives it a try.

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/htm.....index.html

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

vistual

Right off the first page of mikes link .....
"Use an SD Memory Card to record HD videos on a compatible Panasonic HD Camcorder – then insert the card into your VIERA or Panasonic Blu-ray Disc™ product and enjoy memories on the widescreen TV. You can easily play back JPEGs, AVCHD videos, DivX® HD movies1 or MP3 music files via the SD Memory Card slot of your VIERA TV featuring VIERA Image Viewer. Because every small detail matters."
why did i ever doubt you Marks ; )

Thanks Mike.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.