The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

can i switch out HDs?

(11 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Bedard95
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 875 times

Bedard95

I hope I posted this in the right area of the forums. If not, please feel free to move it.

A while back I came here asking about whether or not I should build my own PC. It came down to "no". So I purchased a refurbished Dell Optiplex GX280. My question - Can I replace the existing HD with the Hitachi 250GB internal HD I have sitting around (still in the box)? I do not have an OS CD per se but the refubished computer did come with a "reintallation CD". So does that mean I can switch out the HD and insert the reinstallation CD to get Win XP SP2 on the new HD?

Posted 5 years ago

rupocinski

No! The old hard drive has a partition where the restore files are kept. So no if you don't use the old hard drive you can use the CD, and why did they tell you not to build your own computer?

Posted 5 years ago

Bedard95

I can't switch HDs? What would I need to do? Buy an OS CD?

It was suggested that I not build my own PC because of my lack of knowledge, which I agree.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

i remember that thread. i replaced the hard drive in an xps and the oem cd installed fine. i think your only problem would be if you're putting in a sata hard drive and the original is ata. i think i'm saying this right. the ribbon wires won't work, unless they make a connector. i'm sure youll get an answer shortly.
by the way, i'm selling my first build today. i'm waiting for her to come by, now. a single mom with two kids, i gave her a deal by giving her the monitor and printer. i hope it helps her out in some way.

Posted 5 years ago

Bedard95

Ozspitt,

This HD that I have thats new and still in the box, how do I know if it's a SATA? The box says "Parallel ATA Interface".

I'm thinking that maybe I should install the 250GB HD in ADDITION to the 80GB HD that's already in there.....and store my music and pictures on the 250GB....

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Your last idea is probably the best one. But if you want to use the new disk as your OS disk, you have to image your current OS disk with e.g. Macrium which is free but a bit of work or any of those programs that cost money. Then you can reimport your whole system from the image. You can read some more on the subject on this thread.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

you could get a case to put the hard drive in and use it as an external hard drive, store everything on it.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Oz, agree, but if he can install it as a second sata, that would make it a lot faster than on the USB.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

yeah, i was going the lazy way, lol

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

LOL, usually I am the lazy one.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Bedard95, your drive is not SATA. Parallel ATA, shortened to PATA, is what used to be called IDE. Based on the specs at Dell, the 80 GB boot drive in your Optiplex is SATA. My advice would be to leave the 80 GB SATA drive as the primary boot drive and install the 250 GB inside the case on the PATA bus for extra storage.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!