SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

Can I set up a home network with XP and Windows 7 with a hard wired printer?

(2 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by fruitloop
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 1698 times

fruitloop

Can anyone advise me if I can setup a home network which includes a Main PC using XP and two laptops, one using XP and the other using Windows 7. I also have a HP 1005 mfp printer which is hard wired to the main PC which is using XP.

I have been given different answers to the same question regarding my printer. Some say that I CANNOT print from it using one of the laptops unless I plug a cable from the printer into the laptop. Others say that I CAN print using one of the laptops without plugging in a cable from from the printer to the laptop.

The two laptops I am using are both wireless (one using windows 7, the other using XP) and I do use them wirelessly to the internet as I have a Belkin wireless router.
I have tried numerous times to get all three computers to link together and use the same printer but have never been able to achieve this. I would be most grateful if someone could give me a definitive answer as to whether this is really possible? If so, I would be extremely grateful if I could be shown just how I do this. I am new to any 'networking' of computers as I simply cannot manage to accomplish this

Best regards,
Fruitloop

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-7-and-xp/ see if this helps.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!