The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Can I run my Desktop from an external HD

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Piedmont
  • Latest reply from Ruja
  • Topic Viewed 473 times

Piedmont

I have had several issues with my PC no matter which OS or brand of Desktop I use. Every six months to a year I have to wipe my PC, reinstall the OS, not to mention the fact that while I save some of my Documents, I always loose applications that I downloaded. I am thinking, if I could buy a small HDD (internal) load my OS on it and then all my applications to run off of my external HDD. That way when I wipe my hard drive I will loose a lot less stuff. PLEASE TELL ME IF THIS IS POSSIBLE, IF NOT WHAT OPTIONS DO I HAVE. Oh, this too, I wipe my HDD not because I want to, but because it usually slows down so much that no matter what I do to it, (anti virus removal, junk cleaning etc) it only responds to a full and complete wipe. When I do that ...it is always like I just bought a new PC.THANKS.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Piedmont hi. Would be too slow. Try this instead,
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....p-utility/

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

A good solution is to separate your internal HDD in two partitions. You can install the system in one "OS" partition, and save all your documents on the other "Data" partition. When it is time for a reinstall you can just wipe your "OS" without need of copying back and forth your documents. (Keep a backup for them anyways.)

Also, you can save as many portable apps as you want in a "Programs" folder in your "Data" partition, and they will even save their settings in case of a reinstall. Most programs (but not Office for instance) will work OK also when installed to another partition, even after a system reinstall.

For instance, with a 500 GB disk, I've dedicated 80 GB to the system (and i'm using about 30 GB), the rest is my "Data" partition, where I've stored many programs. Also, if you make a backup of your "OS" partition once it is set as you like it, then reinstalls would be even faster.

Ask if you have any other doubts.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!