SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Can I return Windows7 to factory without a disc and/or a system image?

(21 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by kpeddle
  • Latest reply from StringJunky
  • Topic Viewed 592 times

kpeddle

I need to restore a friends laptop to factory condition. All info has been backed up on their external hard drive. I don't have a Windows 7 os disc, nor has there been a previous system image created. A simple system restore only goes back a month.
I have googled this a million times but all answers are either conflicting or way over my head. I can do some minor fixes with computers, but I guess I just need a confident yes or no answer! :)
I am operating the laptop from safe mode only, as there is a software issue causing a BSOD. Not interested in spending anymore time trying to fix the original problem - just want to restore to factory or however far back I can go without having the disc.
Thanks in advance.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

You should be able to restore from the recovery partition. What is the make of the PC.

Posted 1 year ago

kpeddle

HP G62 notebook pc - 64 bit o/s

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

You can get a free disk from here,
http://www.askvg.com/direct-do.....nd-64-bit/

Posted 1 year ago

kpeddle

I dont think they have a key. Either way, I'm wondering if it can be done without a disc. As WHS said, maybe it can be done through the recovery partition?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

If it still boots Belarc Advisor will tell you what the Product Key is.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

No they don't have a key. Use the one that is on the sticker underneath the laptop.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

Recovery discs OR hitting F11 at boot will allow you to reinstall to factory default.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/N.....d-p/773833

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Right - F11 gets you to the HP recovery partition.

Else you can download an official Windows 7 .iso SP1 from here and activate it with the key on the COA sticker.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Xhi, the Belarc advisor shows 2 keys. The OEM key which is no good for activation and the original Microsoft key. But on the latter they warn you that it may or may not be the right one. I think it is safer to go with the COA sticker key (unless that is unreadable as was the case of one person recently).

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

The OEM key will work.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Not in a lifetime in Windows 7.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Whs: I agree. I read the OP to say he did not have a key and I assumed he did not have the sticker so recommended another possibility.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

No reason why F11 - factory restore would NOT work.

Except maybe hard disk failure and/or recovery partition is kaput / gone.

See section 'Recovery from the startup screen (during system boot)' from HP support site
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfr.....ct=4078808

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

If you download and install from a Win7 disk you will not have a factory restore, just a Win7 O/S. If your attempting a factory restore hopefully the restore image partition is still good.
If you a Win7 install you will need all drivers for the computer model. You have to download from the mfg website so you have all of them available to install after you install your O/S

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

G-X

The drivers can be extracted and restored...I use DriverMax. The licensing info can be done the same with Token Restore.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Thanks, hopefully the OP can get a trial

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Xhi, I understand. I posted the details only for clarification - especially regarding the OEM key. I don't know what LH is doing. He always has these 'specials'.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

g-x, Windows 7 is usually very good in finding all drivers automatically. Manual intervention is only required for very exotic devices.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

whs, Win7 usually installs generic drivers then going to mfg website or windows updates will get the correct ones.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!