(Solved) - Can I remove Bing search in IE8

(4 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by edmenje
  • Latest reply from edmenje
  • Topic Viewed 8805 times

edmenje
edmenje

Here's My situation, Every time I start IE8 an alert box comes up saying:

A program on your computer has corrupted your default search provider setting for Internet Explorer.
Internet Explorer has reset this setting to your original search provider. Bing (www.bing.com)
Internet Explorer will now open Search Settings, where you can change this setting or install more search providers.

The Search Settings window will not allow me to make any changes to the bing settings, which would not be a problem since practically the only time I use IE is for web page testing purposes (I'm usually using Opera or FF). But Every time I start up IE I get the alert and have to close two windows before I can use the browser. Even a registry hack to hide the search bar does not keep the alert from popping up.
I had installed WOT and McAfee Site Advisor plug-ins, perhaps one or both of these had a hand in the current situation (Opera and FF haven't complained though). I used to set Google as my default search provider.
It's becoming a great annoyance to me and I wondered if anyone knows a way to fix this. I would just like to remove the bing search completely.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

edmenje, have you tried resetting IE8 back to factory settings. tools> internet options> advanced tab> reset. This will reset IE. When you open it next time you can delete Bing in the upper rt corner there is a pull down arrow that says "Manage search providers". Click on that and you can delete or disable Bing.

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Or you could uninstall, download and reinstall IE if germ-x suggestion fails

Posted 4 years ago

edmenje
edmenje

Funny thing, it just disappeared. The problem I mean. This morning I opened IE to check out the suggestions you guys gave me and the problem was solved simply by rebooting the computer. Although if it shows up again I'll try those solutions, for now google is back to being the default search, I was able to delete bing and I hid the search bar with a registry hack. As I said, I added McAfee Site advisor which requires It's toolbar visible for it to work, and so I have a search bar available which uses yahoo (my second choice engine) if I need to let others more familiar with IE browse the web from my computer.

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!