SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Can I reinstall Win7 Using my Win7 upgrade disc & my friends OEM Prod KEY?

(25 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Supernaut617
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 1178 times

Supernaut617

Can I reinstall Win7 Using my Win7 upgrade disc & my friends OEM Prod KEY?
I'm thinking doing a clean install of Win7 on friend's virus happy computer. Viruses are preventing me from using the Recovery Utility. I have a OEM Win7 Product Key on the side of the computer and I have my Window7 Upgrade Disc. So, can use my disc & his Key?

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49

Supernaut617,

To answer your first question would be no because each key is registered to that software. Now, if you have a key on the side of your computer why not use that to do the reinstall? I am lost on why you need your friend's key for your computer when you have one for your system?

John

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Why not clean install it ?
http://www.askvg.com/direct-do.....nd-64-bit/

Posted 2 years ago

Supernaut617

Let me be a little more clear. I am thinking about doing a clean install of Windows 7 on a friend's puter. I have the Win7 Upgrade disc and he has the OEM Product Key on the side of his computer.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

As long as it is the same version, it can be done.

Posted 2 years ago

Ruja

Look at the sticker on your friend's computer, with the OEM Product Key, and download the appropriate ISO image (with SP1):

Select the correct version: Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate.
Select 32-bit or 64-bit.
Select the language you like the most (you can use a different language from the one that was installed).

Use the links posted above by Lighthouse. Those are official Windows 7 images, you can do a clean install from them as long as you have the product key. To burn the image into a DVD you will need a program like ImgBurn.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

More info (if needed),
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-.....rrott.html

Posted 2 years ago

Zagreus

LH is correct, as long as the os is the same version you can use your friends key code. Iv'e done it on three neighbours pcs.

Daveh.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Just for clarification of the wording. The key that is on the COA sticker on the side of the box is the Microsoft key. That is unique for this one PC - and only for this one.

An OEM key is something different. That is the key the OS came with from the OEM manufacturer. This is a generic key that the OEMs use to activate many systems at the same time. It cannot be used for a reinstallation (except if you reinstall from the recovery partition) nor can it be used on another PC.

Posted 2 years ago

Ruja

Thanks whs, you are absolutely right, I will try to use the right wording next time.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

whs. You are not correct. My computers did not come with recovery disks, or recovery partitions. They came with full installation disks, and can be used between the different computers. They have no keys on them.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

LH, I don't know what you are saying. I was not discussing discs - I only wanted to clarify the different keys. Of course you can use any installation disc (of the same OS edition) and then apply the key from the COA sticker.

Posted 2 years ago

Ruja

@Lighthouse He means that the key sticked to your computer is not the OEM Product Key. The OEM Product Key is used by Original Equipment Manufacturers on all the computers they build, the same key goes in all of them (or at least in all computers of the same model) but it won't work with normal installation media. You can check that key by looking at the Windows key of a non-reinstalled computer with Speccy for instance, it won't match the one on the sticker.

The sticker attached to the computer, that's the Certificate Of Authenticity (COA), and the key on it is different from the one your computer was originally activated with, and it's unique to each computer (although I believe you can swap those keys between computers of the same model, but that is useless anyways, as both will have a COA of its own).

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

I have only ever once had to enter a key (and I have re-installed on different computers, hundreds of times). In fact now, I do not even use the disks, but use the same Ghost image for all (still don't need to enter a key).

Posted 2 years ago

whs

You are a lucky man, LOL.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

Could be UK key structure, have had to do a @MS call via the twisted wire format (phone call) a couple of times, it worked

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky

Does your image have an Enterprise licence, or whatever it's called...a bulk license in effect LH?

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Tony, no. Bog standard Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

Enterprise licence is completely different

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky

How is it validated then...in the BIOS?

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.