SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Can I now use my old HP printer in win7 ?

(16 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by 1jay1
  • Latest reply from LadyFitzgerald
  • Topic Viewed 2188 times

1jay1

I'm on windows 7 home premium now and no HP printer drivers from HP.

an I follow these instructions and not have to buy a new printer??

Create an XP Mode for Windows 7 Home Versions & Vista.

Posted 4 years ago

baldeguy56
baldeguy56

1jay1, hi and welcome to the HTG forum. Most of the times a Vista driver will work in Win7. As you didn't post the make and model of the printer, please go to the HP site and find a Vista driver. This should get your printer to working on Win7...Garry

Posted 4 years ago

Santo
Santo

XP mode printing will work only if you have drivers installed for Windows 7.

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

One of the reasons I haven't upgraded to WIN 7 is my HP1300 LaserJet. Even though it still works well and toner is still available at a reasonable price, the jerks discontinued support for it (HP has been bad about that and for jacking up the prices of toner, etc. lately). Being the cheap old broad I am, I want to wring every bit of use out of it I can.

Posted 4 years ago

HairyCoo
HairyCoo

HP site HERE
XP driver listed,also install the MS UAA driver.
Get Vista driver HERE.
Hopefully will work straight off, seems others have had success.
Check against your model no.

Posted 4 years ago

1jay1

It's a HP psc 2355 and windows 7 home hasn't liked any driver so far.

Thx for the help & quick replies.

Posted 4 years ago

HairyCoo
HairyCoo

Did you install the Microsoft UAA driver-definitely needed as well.
Unfortunately you cant use XP mode or virtual mode for Home Premium,unless you use the VM Player as you mentioned.

HP does list a patch for upgrading Vista to Win 7 HERE
Try installing the Vista driver and patching

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Those drivers don't always work with legacy printers.

Posted 4 years ago

baldeguy56
baldeguy56

LadyFitzgerald, On the Win7 Compatibility Center, It says HP1300 LaserJet is compatible with Win7 on both 32 and 64bit platforms. But, I think you may already know this. Best Wishes...Garry

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

OP's HP psc 2355 shows Win 7 drivers available via Windows updates or Microsoft install disk. If it's an upgrade from Vista to 7, then the patch needs to be used. The UAA driver should already be installed by Windows, then the patch, then the Win 7 driver, if I'm not mistaken.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

@LadyFitzgerald, I find that HP lists Universal Print Drivers for that machine, dated: 16 Dec 2009. It would look to me as though they were meant for use up to Win 7. What do you think?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizs.....nvOID=2093

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

@GK1610 Last time I checked, the printer wasn't compatible with even Vista. When I had contacted HP, their wonderful India based support system informed me support for the 1300 had been discontinued and wouldn't ever be compatible with anything higher than 32 bit XP (the India based support system, an oxy moron at best, is one of several reasons I will never own another HP product). Since the PCL6 driver (the one the printer uses) now claims to be WIN 7 32 bit compatible, I'll check it out when I do upgrade to WIN 7 (but have the money on hand for a new printer anyway in case they lied, something not unusual for them).

@baldeguy56 The WIN 7 Compatibility Center may show 32 and 64 bit compatibility but HP's site shows compatibility only for 32 bit.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

@LadyFitzgerald, the drivers on the page I cited show they are good for Win 7 32bit. click on the 'Universal Print Driver' under the description column, and the OS's listed include Win 7 32.

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Ummm...I thought I said that they are now claiming to be WIN 7 32bit compatible.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

Looks like Win 7, 32 & 64 bit:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizs.....&idx=3

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

OK, this is wacky. Here is what it says up to where one downloads it:

Type: Driver - Universal Print Driver
Version: 5.0.3 (16 Dec 2009)
Operating System(s): Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit), Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 W32, Microsoft Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows XP
File name: upd-503-pcl5_winxp-vista.exe (14 MB)

Further down the page it says something about it will support 64 bit but I can't really make any sense of the rest of it. I'm not even certain it's talking about the same driver (HP's websites have always been obscure to me).

Whatever. I'll worry about it when I upgrade to WIN 7 (late this year at the earliest, if then). I have the driver book marked. If it works, fine. If not, I'll get a new printer (NOT an HP!); I've been considering getting a wide media laser anyway.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!