SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Can I let Macrium control of backups automatically?

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Thebeholder
  • Latest reply from Thebeholder
  • Topic Viewed 473 times

Thebeholder

I have registered Macrium
I have only read that Macrium can manage the disk space via deleting the older full backups.

Can I let Macrium control of how many full backups and differential to be kept.
Besides, can I set Macrium to force a backup image(incremental or differential) to be a full backup image in fixed day or after each certain number of incremental or differential make a full backup image.
In other words, can I let Marium control of the backup image to organize the size of destination.

For instance, if I made a full backup on 1 Saturday, Then, I set it as a deferential and scheduled it.
So, I want Macrium to do these process automatically in the next days:
Keep 1 full backup images.
keep 1 deferential backup images

Make a full backup image every Friday.

I have found this in another program, but unfortunately, it is only for backing data(Data Backups and not Image Backups).

I know that :
If a Full backup is removed from the destination directory then all linked incremental and differential backups will also be removed as these are now invalid.
As differentials are redundant
However, I only want Macrium to keep a certain number of differential backups as long as its parent(full backup is still not removed). Then, I want to delete a full backup when its child(deferential) after two full backups. After that, When it deletes a full backup with its associated backups, I want it to make a full backup each Friday.
In the end, I will end up having one full backup and one deferential each end week(Friday)

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

You making your life too difficult. I suggest you work only with full images only - a lot easier. Incrementals you cannot trust. Differentials are a bit better but still messy.

Posted 1 year ago

Thebeholder

Thank you so much indeed dear Whs, but as you that the full backup images take a long time. I don't always want to make a full backup as long as only a few changes will be made every time I run my computer. So, I think that I will need only a full backup each week and the others will be deferential.

Could you please understand me. Could you please take some of you precious time out to read my previous post?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I read your post. but since I do not have the pro edition of Macrium I cannot really comment on it.

As far as the time is concerned, let the imaging run in the background and do something else in the meantime. My system images in no time, but I have my data on a seperate data partition.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ whs. Exactly why can't you trust incrementals?

Posted 1 year ago

Thebeholder

Thank so much, you run a full backup every day. It may be your partition size you imaged is small. so it took 3 minutes
I don't think I need to image my partition (52GB) which contains my personal files every day.
Also, if I want to image the partition OS, so I think I need one full back up and then the others will be one differential each time I installed another program.

I need only the changes to be appended to the full image. So, I only need a one deferential every day, and one full backup a week or a month.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

I don't use Macrium, but Symantec Products. Symantec System Restore 2013, and Ghost before that. I too make FULL backups. My specific drives are NOT small (I think). My C: is about 70GB's and my data drive is about 100GB. Time to image I don't think is long. C: is a few minutes, no more than 10 I think, and the data drive around 15. It runs in the background and I don't even know when it is running. This is an almost 4 year old computer, running W8 with an Intel i7 processor and 8GB's of RAM. Imaging is done once a week on each drive, but manually I will run full backups or specific folders when needed.

Why full, because of EASE OF RESTORE... ONE file and I'm done. Iterations are kept on the backup drive, 5 of each drive, so I can go back a month if need be. Also I randomly move/copy some to an external drive.

Full backups also make it easier to find specific files if I do need a single file. On the important files, I do keep the latest one, and there are options to do that at a specific time, specific period, or when changed, but I don't use them, I just start a backup when I think I want to save them.

You are also looking at it possibly wrong. You say "I need only the changes to be appended to the full image. So, I only need a one deferential every day, and one full backup a week or a month.", but you assume the changes are only due to installations or possibly editing of a file. It also appears you have a single partition with all stuff on it? However, when you use a computer, many things change. Just browsing changes the history and cookies. Depending on what triggers a 'differential', you could continually be making differentials. Not sure how this is handled in Macrium though. It all depends on how they are triggered and 'what risk' you are willing to take, i.e., possible data/program loss by not having a back-up for a specific period of time.

Imaging you can consider as 'insurance'. Insurance for h/w failure or virus attack. Some 'risk', such as not having the latest 'changes' or 'additions' can be acceptable. Me, I find weekly back-ups acceptable risk. When I do discover a problem and the computer still operates I take measures to recover/save when I know isn't in the last image though. Like I said, I also run daily single backups of specific files and folders that I know are important.

Of course, all this depends on system load. However, as a data point my wife's old Intel Core 2 duo 2.3Ghz, 2GB Ram system also ran Ghost and she never knew it was running. I tested Macrium at one point and system load was about the same. They could run and one could use the system.

Have you tried doing full backups? Did they load down your system? How long did it take to run?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

LF, I don't trust incrementals because if only 1 if the incrementals in the chain gets corrupted, you lose the whole set - which may be weeks of images. Differentials are a little better. They work differently.

Posted 1 year ago

Thebeholder

Thank all of you so much indeed.

ispalten@Why full, because of EASE OF RESTORE... ONE file and I'm done. Iterations are kept on the backup drive, 5 of each drive, so I can go back a month if need be. Also I randomly move/copy some to an external drive.@

I have really have two partitions, the first one, which is c:, is for my OS. The other one, which is D:, is for my personal data.
I think that restoringoring an image created by Macriudifferentfrent than others programs, why? Because if you created a full image, and then created a differential image appended to it, you will only need to choose one the last one differential image if you need to restore your OS or data partition to what was until creating the last differential image. However, if you only neerestoresotre your OS or data partition to what it was until creating full image, you will need to choose the full image.
In other words, you only choose one image at a time.

I have done this, but I don't know whether I am right or not.

I've already created a full separated image of each of the OS partition and data partition. After, I have also created a differential after I have made some changes on both partitiopartitionsS partions, I have installed some new programs. On the data partition, I have edited and added a new files.
In other words,
FuOS image of os
Full image of data partition
DifferenOSal image of os
Differential image of data partition

So, I think that I only need to daily create one Differential image and one full image a week or a month.
Alo, I only need to keep last one Differential image and a weekly one full image.
I,myself, really have found that tdifference striking diffrence in the time of creating full image and the time of creating Differential restoreHowever, the resotre of both full and Differential is nearly similar, because if you choose the Differential to restore, then full will also be restored along with the changes imaged in Differential.

As a result, I think that it would have been better, if the Macrium had taken over these points:
How many full images should be kept?
How many Differentials should be kept?
Fixed a specific day to force differential to be full, then, when made, the last full image should be deleted if you chose 'only keep one full image'

So, automatically, the user's destination will keep only with a full image, for instance, a week, a month as it is set and last one Differential daily.

The benefit of this is that the user will not be confused by the many imags as long as he only needs a full image and a last one differential.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!