SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

How Do I Downgrade From Windows 8 To Windows 7 ?

(12 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Straspey
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 863 times

Straspey
Straspey

I have a question for the experts here, which is beyond my scope of experience.

A friend of mine just purchased a new Toshiba laptop, pre-loaded with Windows 8 Home Premium.

As a long-time user of Windows 7 - he has decided that he hates Windows 8 and would like to revert back to 7

He said that he was told he could not "downgrade" to Windows 7 from his version of Windows 8, and the only way to do so was from Windows 8 Professional, or Ultimate - and even then, he would have to go and find all the Toshiba drivers for Windows 7 - which would also be the case if he simply wiped the drive and did a fresh-install of Windows 7.

I'd like to be able to offer him some useful advice and guidance - and am turning to the experts here - especially those who regularly do re-installs of their operating systems - to give me a few answers.

Thanks in advance.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

This doesn't answer your question, but I actually upgraded both my Laptop and PC to Windows 8 from Windows 7
Windows 8 ain't that bad in my opinion, I installed this http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/ and disabled all the apps in Windows 8, this way I can booth straight to the desktop and use it just like Windows 7. Not a fan of the Start Screen, but do like Windows 8, once you spend sometime learning the new OS it's a breeze to use.
That's just my opinion, I know there's a lot of people that don't like Windows 8, but with an SSD and configured to my liking, it's so fast and so easy to use.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

You'd have to instal Windows 7 using a Windows 7 disc and use a valid (read: purchased) activation/license.
Make sure to look on the unit's support/driver page to see if there are Windows 7 drivers (and to be sure if the unit will be fully functional) before you do the instal.
As gedstar said, you can install third-party apps that will give you a 'start menu' with the option to completely disable the 'start screen'.
I was sceptical at first, but Windows 8 is awesome once you get to know it. Give it a few more days (while you do research) and might end up enjoying it.

Also, if the purchase was recent, the store he bought it from MAY accept to take it back and/or exchange it for a different model which comes with Windows 7. I know we do (up to 3-4 weeks after purchase). This may be your best solution if you really can't live with it.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I would not buy windows 8 and replace my windows 7. But after using the pre-versions of windows 8 for nearly a year, I could very well live with it if it came preinstalled on a new PC. As the previous posters said, it takes some time to get used to it.

But if your friend is really determined to go to Windows 7, he has to buy a license. The cheapest would be an OEM license for $100 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6832116986 ). I would not worry too much about drivers. Windows 7 is pretty good at finding them automatically.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

I would not buy windows 8 and replace my windows 7.

Funny how now with Windows 8 I would not go back to Windows 7 ;)
As I use to say, it's all a matter of perception.

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey
Straspey

@ whs -

Thanks for your helpful reply to my question.

So - would it be possible to simply install Windows 7 on top of Windows 8 - or would it be necessary to first remove Windows 8 ?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

I use my Windows 8 daily. Since I leave it up all the time I hardly know it is Windows 8 unless I restart it, which I seldom do. Once you penetrate it's mask there is not a lot of difference between it and 7. Only if you want there to be.

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey
Straspey

While I appreciate and respect everybody's feedback, the intent of my original post was not to engender an opinion poll
regarding Windows 7 vs Windows 8.

I need practical information about the nuts and bolts regarding a downgrade to Windows 7 on a Toshiba laptop with an OEM version of Windows 8 Home Premium pre-installed.

Any direct information regarding that issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

The nuts and bolts are simple. Buy a Windows 7 license and install it.

If you have a valid key for Windows 7 that was never used, you can download the .iso from here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/.....tal-river/

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey
Straspey

whs -

Thanks very much for you concise and helpful reply.

I also assumed that Windows 7 would find the right drivers automatically.

I will pass on this information to my friend - who will be happy to learn this.

Thanks again !

- Howard

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

He will have to get the Motherboard drivers and others for his particular computer from the web site of his computer manufacturer in addition to the Windows 7 installation. If it is a self built computer he will have to go to the motherboard manufacturers site. He will have to re-install all secondary software programs from scratch with the install media and product keys. He should take a Belarc Advisor report to imortalize any software and product keys before wiping the disk.

He will, of course have to backup and restore any personal data on the Windows 8 OS. It cannot be "downgraded".

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Xhi, I would not worry about the drivers. Those days they are probably still all available thru the automatic driver update. I don't know of any new mobo that is not supported in /7.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.