SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Can I disable the following processes to save on bandwidth?

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by choppy
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 973 times

choppy

Using Resource Monitor I see that the following processes have constant network activity. I have very limited bandwidth available and I was wondering if the following processes are not needed can they be turned off in the startup menu or through some other process?

svchost.exe (LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation) PID 1780
svchost.exe (LocalServicePeerNet) PID 4088
svchost.exe (netsvcs) PID 524
svchost.exe (NetworkService) PID 1312

Thanks in advance for any help,
choppy

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Those are probably sending status reports upstream. Why don't you diable them (one at a time) and see what happens. The last 2 ones may be iffy.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Try Adblock Plus in FF or Chrome...that might help. This stops ads loading which adds to bandwidth usage and takes longer for pages to load on slow connections.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb?hl=en-GB

Posted 1 year ago

choppy

I use Adblock and you are right...it helps.

Thanks for the replies,
choppy

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

They are services. Disable the services and they will not be created. You can also set the services to Manual and they would only be created if needed.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

You really need a Program like Process Explorer and DETERMINE what is on/in those PID's. PID's are unique to a computer, so the number doesn't mean much to anyone but someone on your computer.

If you are on the Internet you probably need NETSVC for instance.

Process Explorer (SYSINTERNALS.COM) will also allow you to select a process and then search the web for it. Give that a try.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!