The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Bypass Password

(14 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by lavalleesp
  • Latest reply from xVolcyx
  • Topic Viewed 1047 times

lavalleesp

My sister and I were cleaning out my aunts house and found 2 laptops. 1 an ibm think pad, i was able to do a system restore on it. The 2nd is aPersonal computer Modle # N35BS8. It has Windows XP pro. I can not get in The User Name is Administrator and I have no idea of the password, How can I get in to do a system restore? I cant ask my aunt, she died.
Send any info to: EDIT by mod, no personal email addresses pleases, as per forum rules
Thank you.

Posted 4 years ago

Scott

Bump, per member's request.

Posted 4 years ago

mfletch

Hi

Boot the computer into safe mode there may be a default admin account there with no password

Use that to alter the other passwords

Start into SAFE MODE

1/As your computer starts but before Windows launches, press F8 repeatedly.
2/Use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
3/If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access using the arrow keys, and then press ENTER.
Note: If Windows launches before you can choose a safe mode, restart your computer and try again
PS/ Sometimes it maybe the F5 key

Posted 4 years ago

lavalleesp

Upon pressing F8
safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command propt
Enable boot logging
EABLE VGA Mode
Last Known good configuration
Directory Services Restore Mode ( Windows domain controllers)
Debugging Mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure
Start Windows normally
Reboot
Return yo OS choices Menu
I have tryed to start in safe mode, no luck..
I dont care what is on this computer as far as my aunts programs. I just want the thing to run and I will put my own programs in. So far I have not been able to get by the login/ Ctrl-Alt-Del opens the adin login and that is as far as I can get.

Please help, cant afford to bring this to a computer shop and my wife needs a laptop so that she is not always on mine.....

Posted 4 years ago

StringJunky

You could try Ophcrack. I wrote about it Here.

Cheers

Tony

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead

lavalleesp, hi. First, my sympathies to you and your family.

If you have a Windows XP CD, I'd suggest you do a clean install. You should look online for any drivers you're likely to need first though, just to be sure you CAN obtain them.

Posted 4 years ago

lavalleesp

I downloaded Ophcrack on to a removable drive and pluged it into the other laptop and rather than openning it continues to the Windows xp "press Ctrl-Alt-Del" I am still not getting any where......

Posted 4 years ago

lvct

The file you downloaded would be a zip file with an extension.iso. What you need to do is burn this iso to a cd. Just load the zip file as it was downloaded into the burner program. Img is probably the best one. Put this cd into the problem computer making sure you set the computer to boot with the cd/dvd drive. When the computer boots to the first screen, there is usually a message showing what key to press "mine is F12" When the cd loads, follow the instructions.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/C.....Burn.shtml

Posted 4 years ago

StringJunky

AS Ivct says it's an iso file and it needs to be burnt to cd with imagburn or similar and your boot sequence needs to have the dvd/cd player first in the list.

I've copied my instructions to here:

"Install Imgburn. OPen it. Where it says: Please Select A File click on the icon on the same line to the right and find the Ophcrack ISO and click on it then OK. Insert disk. Select: Write Image File to Disk (select a slow speed first). Leave disk in tray and make sure your computer is set to boot from CD first in the BIOS.

Leave it and don't touch anything ..leave it to do its stuff. At the first screen make sure it's on Auto (first option). Press Enter or leave it if it's on that.

In the bottom section you'll see the RAM progress bar filling up slowly....when it reaches 100% you should see the password in the top section.

Logout and reboot without the disk in. Enter your password"

Tony

Posted 4 years ago

lavalleesp

No matter what I do everything leads back to windows XP opening and it goes directly to a box that says preparing network connections (please wait) then it opens another box "Welcome to Windows" press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to begin. After pressing these keys "Log on to Windows"
Username : Administrator
Password:
And that is it. From the F5 key safe mode and a bunch of other thing, nothing works..........Ready for a sledge hammer!!

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

lavalleesp,

Are you saying it will NOT boot from a Boot CD ???

If it will NOT, then Bios Device Boot Sequence has probably been changed
and the Bios may have a password also.

Someone took great pains to to secure the machine.

It this be the case;
1. MUST Clear CMOS Password and Figure out how to get into Bios.
AND / OR
2. Take drive out, use adapters and hook into a second machine to read drive or format drive.
(may be encrypted)

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

xVolcyx

You could try burning Hirens Boot CD and clear the password that way. Similar to OPcrack but much better in my opinion. http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

But you will need to change the BIOS so the cd boots first. Common ways are Delete, F12, F2, ESC, F10 buttons to get into the BIOS. Does your BIOS have a password on it?

Posted 4 years ago

marks100

read this bottom follow my last two posts, it worked for me 'read the walkthorugh'

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=45

you can put on usb/or cd. i went with the usb,have now got it on cd,hope this helps.

this one starts even before the F1+F12 appear... a little o appears in the L/hand corner and your in .

Posted 4 years ago

xVolcyx

It will only help if he can get into the BIOS and change the boot order. Let's hope he can!

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.