How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - bypass boot manager

(8 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by bamsan
  • Latest reply from Michael
  • Topic Viewed 5201 times

bamsan
bamsan

Hi guys. Right now, I'm dual-booting vista and xp. Is it possible to have something like "Restart using XP" in vista; so the computer will shutdown, restart, bypassing boot manager menu, straight to xp. and vice versa

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Nope. Sorry. Although it is possible to have something such as BootMagic (not free) to set the active partition, or you can do this in Vista manually. It may also be possible to set up a script to change partitions as well. If you wish, I can see if I can make one? Other than that you'll have to do it the manual way.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

bamsan
bamsan

Yeah, that'd be great. During the days of NT4 and win95, my friend create a couple of batch file that altering the boot.ini file to switch between those two, and it really worked. Vista is not using boot.ini anymore, so those nice little .bat won't work anymore

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Wait you have one? Try changing "boot.ini" to "boot.bcd" and lemme know if it works. It may slightly more complicated because XP uses the ini as well.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

bamsan
bamsan

My dual boot is managed by vista not xp. If I put boot.bcd in vista partition will it be read by vista? Currently, there is no boot.bcd on my vista partition. I'm not using extended partition, but 2 primary partition

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Then this is impossible. I belive that the easiest and fastest way to do it, is to select your Operating System from the BootLoader when your PC starts up.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

bamsan
bamsan

Based on your hint about bcd, I found a vista command line utility that acomplised this task. The good news is, the command can be run by xp. so I create a .cmd file for vista to switch to xp -- called "Boot to XP.cmd" :

bcdedit /default {ntldr}
bcdedit /timeout 0
shutdown /r /t 0

and another .cmd for xp to switch to vista -- called "Boot to Vista.cmd":

d:\windows\system32\bcdedit /default {d1113ac2-75c7-11dc-90fb-fd657d08089e}
d:\windows\system32\bcdedit /timeout 0
shutdown -r -t 0

and they worked beautifully! I can secure my boot loader at last.

in this case d: is the vista partition shown up on xp.

Thanks for your hint

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Not a problem. :D Glad to see you got it working. :D

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!