How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Buying an HDTV: specs that matter

(7 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by ScottW
  • Latest reply from jmcguire
  • Topic Viewed 7132 times

ScottW
ScottW

We have had a couple of folks shopping for and buying HDTVs. PCWorld recently did this article about the specs that matter for HDTV:
http://www.pcworld.com/article....._dont.html

I hope it helps someone. BTW, they also cover PCs, digital cameras, laptops, and routers. The link above is queued up to the HDTV section.

Posted 5 years ago

JonMCC33
JonMCC33

Great link. On a side note, I highly recommend Samsung HDTVs.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@ScottW,

Your link is really good !!
Everyone should print out a copy and take it with them when they go shopping.
@JonMCC33,
Samsung has come a long way in quality in all their products from years ago.
I remember when one automatically passed them over even at the cheapest store.
Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦ :)

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

That PCWorld article only scratches the surface. For anyone who wants to dig deep and do lots of research on HDTV, be sure to visit HDTV World at c|net:
http://www.cnet.com/hdtv-world/

Posted 5 years ago

JonMCC33
JonMCC33

@raphoenix
I'm not that old but indeed Samsung is huge. $174 billion in revenue? They pretty much dominate the LCD/HDTV market and provide the memory chips for most RAM manufacturers, other than Micron and Hynix of course. Most of the time it's their LCD/TFT screens being used in other brand's monitors/TVs as well.

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

Yeah, i recently bought a TV and i did a ton of research. I ended up getting the Panasonic, Model: TH-42PX80U. I'm not planning on getting a bluray player anytime soon, so 1080p was not that big of a deal to me. Also, for a person with normal eyesight (whatever that is) sitting 12 ft from the tv you probably wont notice a big difference. For fast action such as football and action movies, Plasma is the way to go. There are 120Hz refresh rate LCD TV's out now....but i haven't seen them in person yet.

As far as the Panasonic goes:

Panasonic is supposed to be the 2nd best in Plasma after Pioneer. I am totally happy with this TV. Also, the cabinet is a lot nicer looking than the pics on line. Been watching it for 2 days now and i would honestly recommend it.

While i was researching and asking people i knew for their opinions a lot of them recommended Vizio. I did find a really nice Vizio that was 1080P and based on all the rave reviews I've heard from friends...i was going to get it. However, i had to get it from Best Buy and they do not carry the Vizio brand.

Posted 5 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

Thanks ScottW, I have been looking at HDTV's

Also, for anyone wondering, the last I checked the top three manufacturers rated by consumer reports were:
1) Samsung
2) Sony
3) Sharp

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!