Buy & sell forum (HTG Market Place)

(42 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by vistamike
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 8070 times

vistamike
vistamike

Hello.

LH (innit, that bloody expat in France) and I have been thinking about setting up a 'For Sale / Swap / Want, forum. It has been sanctioned by THE GEEK.
We were wondering whether members would think this a good idea. We are at the basics on this idea at the moment, but this is the ground work so far.

Obviously we have to have limitations and strict rules to abide by to protect all members.
A summation so far:

* The forum is strictly computer / electronic focused (no food, clothing, pets etc)
* Member posting is established (senior) 200 valid posts or above
* The sale / swap is within the same country (unless agreed by both parties regarding postage)
* The items are described in an honest way (as new, fair, WORKING)
* NB; we will monitor and mod this as best we can to prevent spoil / spam etc

Now to the nitty gritty (payments / delivery)

* Payments by bank credit transfer unless otherwise agreed by both parties
* Prompt feedback with the transaction

We feel that this could be a very good idea for members in this economic thunderstorm.
It would be great if you could give feedback on this idea.
Also if you do give feedback, please give us an idea what you have currently up for grabs, as it were.

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

This is a good idea. Let's call it HTG Marketplace !
+1 to that.

P.S. Hope there will be guidelines for each and every item being put up for sale. For instance, a hard drive/SSD must be formatted clean in such a way that the data is unrecoverable (but DBAN on an SSD? Oh well, you get the idea...)

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

hatryst, that is exactly the response we are looking for and I agree to what you said above about HDDs.
quote (but DBAN on an SSD? Oh well, you get the idea...)

The guidelines are most important and it is your input that could make this work.

Keep em coming.....

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

vistual
vistual

i too think this could be a great idea.
But why not implement a system where one could use something like ....
PayPal, AlertPay, or ProPay and avoid bank fees only because some (mine for example) banks will charge a fee to transfer funds if its to an outside account / different institution.
i also believe that the feedback system would be IDEAL.

i'd also like to tale a moment to capitalize on the topic and request my first "wanted" item [hehe : p]
anyone have one of those "hard drive enclosures" of better quality where you can insert a hdd thats meant to be an internal hdd and use it as if it were a portable usb hdd.
considering the low cost of this item new, im obviously looking for a free one or to pay no more than $10 - $15 bucks, shipped. shipped, delivered or can pick up if local. please provide a link where i can see a description of the item and its features / capabilities.

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Love it and like Vissy I like the notion of using paypal.
But I don't think it will be necessary to implement it. You can deal with that with the person you want to buy something from.
Like Mike states 'unless otherwise agreed by both parties'.

I myself have to rehome a rather large laptop (17 inch screen if memory serves me right - it's late and I'll look up the particulars another time LOL)
And now that I am getting a second pc I'm looking for a second monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse ... cheap!
And I'm picky too <LOL>. They have to be black and the monitor 19 or 20 inches at least (more is not a problem :D), keyboard and mouse on a USB thingy, like the logitech I have for my main pc :)

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

Glad to see this post. I am all for it. Have trashed items because the wife thinks I am a hoarder. But stuff was still good.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Have this 19" monitor, including vesa bracket and stand; It is quite heavy.

More

Mike

Edit; this was sold for £50, off forum.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Before you all start, I suggest to put a throwaway email address in your profile. Use that for transactions.

Posted 2 years ago

vistual
vistual

VERY good point Lighthouse ...
im gonna try to get mine up at some point today.

Posted 2 years ago

Ted16
Ted16

This is a good idea but should be aimed at helping everyone with price etc otherwise it could just become ebay2 :) Just my opinion.

I have a Nisis G3 Easy Pen Graphic Tablet all boxed and complete that works OK up to XP. Free to anyone in the UK who could use it.

Mike, LH et al, if this is jumping the gun just pull the post.

Ted

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Hi Ted. This is still 'Work In Progress' so all input is welcome.
It will not ever be ebay2!!
We were hoping that members could buy, sell, swap/barter strictly between ourselves (HTG members).

I hate to see stuff 'binned' when it can have a value to someone else, either free or at a small price.

I have loads of stuff that I refuse to junk but borders on the verge of hoarding, so a 'wanted' section is just as good as a 'for sale' section. Although I have stuff I would like to sell, I also have stuff I would be quite happy to give away.

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

Ted16
Ted16

I totally agree Mike, I am the same , cannot bear to chuck anything that may be useful but am happy to give away or sell for a modest amount. I hope it gets off the ground. I think it will make the forum even better.

On a different matter I have been waiting nearly eight weeks for BT to sort out my BB link with Talktalk. It finally looks like it is OK touch wood and now back up to nearly 7 megs.

Ted

Posted 2 years ago

Straspey
Straspey

Might I also suggest a "For Free" area in the HTG Marketplace.

I occasionally do some business in a large office building on the same floor as the IT department. I often walk by their office and see a pile of old computers, monitors, keyboards, etc which have outlived their usefulness to the business and are headed to the junk pile - however they are still in good working condition and could still serve a useful purpose.

Similarly, I would venture to guess that more than a few long-time and experienced "geeks" here may have a few bits of older equipment lying in the basement, or back of the closet, which may be too old for sale, but are still in working order and would be useful to somebody else.

The item would be listed "For Free" on a first-come, first-served basis. All shipping costs, including postage, shipping boxes, packaging materials, etc. would be assumed by the recipient of the free item - or if possible a live, local pickup could be arranged.

While of course the primary purpose of the Marketplace would to buy and sell, there might still be a place for the unsalable, yet still usable.

What do you think of that idea ?

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

I think that if you can make a few dollars, quid etc. from your unwanted electronics great. But keeping things still serving a useful purpose from the landfill at least for awhile even better.

Posted 2 years ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

I like this idea. And I have loads of 'junk' to offload. Problem is my location, as I'm in N.Ireland, postage to pretty much anywhere will be substantial.

Posted 2 years ago

vistual
vistual

I have a license for ...
Wondershare DVD Slideshow Builder Deluxe
this is a $60! Dollar Value
Am asking for ONLY $30!

i picked it up with another piece of software that i purchased (it came as a bundle)
i really only wanted the other app but was better off paying the price for both.
this is a nice app - lots of fun if you like playing with images and videos.
GREAT software to turn your photos and video clips into stunning DVD slideshows.

Various Supported Input / Output Types And Sharing Options

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Have a dlink wireless 300n (DIR 615) router free, complete with PSU, CD and manual, postage free UK.
1 ethernet in, 4 ethernet terminals out.

Click on Mod and send me email/postal address. 1st come 1st served!

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

6card
6card

Great addition to HtG.

But, can we lower the limit to 92 posts?? he he he

sixcard

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I have (4) new WD Cavier Black 1T HDs which I would like to sell in US.

Were purchased in the Summer when HD prices were Low !

Have my own Fedex Account so can ship to your door.

Posted 2 years ago

nt0xik8ed
nt0xik8ed

how much rick? those things shot up over $200

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!