How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Burning a recovery disk on a Dell

(7 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by whs
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 7258 times

whs
whs

Does anybody know how to get "Recovery disk creator" on a Dell. With HP I only type REC into the Start Search field and the Recovery manager turns up that gets me to the Wizard.
I am trying to help a nice old lady with her Dell that lives 2000 miles away from me. She would like to burn a recovery DVD but does not know how. My procedures did not get her to the wizard either.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

On my Dell, you don't burn a recovery disk, Dell gives you the recovery DVD with the computer.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

That's what I was afraid of. The lady has already sent 5 or 6 mails to the buggers. They keep coming back with dumb questions jerkig her around. You should have streamlined those people in the Commonwealth a little more.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Hi whs, my Dell came from Ireland (so not commonwealth).
It's a year old, and maybe now they've changed their policy
to not supplying a recovery disk?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

The Dell Technical support comes out of India - thus Commonwealth. They don't supply a recovery disk. Just the recovery partition. There ought to be a way to burn off a couple of DVD's from there.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/.....-download/

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

But you don't get a real recovery disk of the full system with that. That is the crux. You still need a functioning recovery partition. - quote:
"It cannot be used to install or reinstall Windows Vista, and just serves as a Windows PE interface to recovering your PC."

So if your disk crashes and you install a new one, this does not help. The recovery disk I burnt on my HP is a full installation disk, as if I had purchased it from MS (plus the HP features). If Dell were not so cheap, they would have provided that with the system.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!