SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Burned Data to DVD faster rate then supposed to!

(7 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by bingojubes
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 703 times

bingojubes
bingojubes

i made a large boo-boo toda: i was backing up data onto dual layer (9.5GB on one side) DVDs and i ended up being in such a hurry, i forgot they needed to be burnt at 2x, not 8x. some of my anime episodes came out okay, but my music DVD and some of the other anime episodes lock up the explorer.

i have tried copying stuff back to my HDD, but after grinding away for several minutes, it says "data cannot be read from source file or disk".

how can i recover my data to reburn, since i have deleted the original data to make room for games?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

bingojubes, hello. There are tools for recovering data from CD and DVD discs. I have never used these, but you can try CD Recovery Toolbox, which is free, or CDRoller which costs money:
http://www.oemailrecovery.com/cd_recovery.html
http://www.cdroller.com/

You should look into why this happened in the first place. Good burning software should check the capabilities of the optical drive and the disc so that it never burns faster than it should.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@ScottW: It should but that isn't always the case. Nero shows 18x for my 16x drive and discs. It does work most of the time though. I've just had a couple bad burns.

Posted 5 years ago

bingojubes
bingojubes

thanks for the responses! i use Nero8, and my DvD drive is an 8x burner, so i guess paired up with Nero, it assumes my disc is also 8x :( too bad it doesn't save my settings too well.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

JD, something that doesn't work? I can't say I'm surprised.

Try this experiment: with a blank DVD in the drive, run the Nero InfoTool and see what are the supported speeds for the media and the disc. Then see if Nero burning chooses a different speed than what InfoTool says the max should be.

Bingojubes, did you get your data off of that disc?

Posted 5 years ago

bingojubes
bingojubes

its taking a long time to get data off of it, not sure if it's sposed to be going fast, cause it's going at kb/second. so far have gotten a few things off to practice using application. with more time available may move on to 300MB files :)

so, so far its working, just very slowly. i will have to try that InfoTool, too. it looks cool. on the DVD package, it says 2.4x. i'll use infotool when i get home tonight and see. thanks again! i will try to be more careful in the future!

just another thought: if i take the bad disc, and used my other drive to copy disc-2-disc at the 2.4x speed, will it copy the bad burn at a lower speed, thus making a 2.4x burn disc copy that might work better?? (me thinks answer would be NO).

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

bingojubes, if it can be read by another drive, that would allow you to get the data off as well. Also, if the data recovery doesn't do the whole job on the PC that burned the disc, try the software on another PC. Sometimes a different brand of DVD drive will read data that another can't.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.