How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

burn recovery disc from recovery partiton

(25 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by gordy
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 6841 times

gordy
gordy

I would like to know how to burn a bootable recovery disc from my recovery partion that is on my dell inspiron. I was licky enough to get a full and proper vista instalation disc with my system which i have used a couple of times to compleatly re-install vista when i have had some major probs. I thought that the recovery partition might be easier to use and save me having to do a clean install if i run into probs in the future.Could someone please tell me if a recovery disc would have bennefits over the installation disc

Posted 4 years ago

vistual
vistual

Hi gordy,
"I would like to know how to burn a bootable recovery disc from my recovery partion that is on my dell inspiron." ....
-- Launch the recovery manager - and follow the instructions - it will also give suggestions as to type of media to use.
"I was lucky enough to get a full and proper vista instalation disc with my system"
-- Lucky enough - indeed ! : )
"Could someone please tell me if a recovery disc would have bennefits over the installation disc "
-- Its all a matter of preference, i think - but i dont think theres any benifits of one over the other. unless you want to start debating about which is safer - on the hard disc ? OR on physical media. ?, but hey you have both so its a win win.
funny thing though i used my recovery partition a few times (2x) with success BUT the last time (the 3rd x) i went to use it, i was unable to. it just wouldnt let me.
i had to run out and buy some DVDs to create the discs from the recovery manager and then re-installed from the discs with no problem.
also check out this tutorial and learn about any other backup programs to help make restoring easier as opposed to starting from square one all over again.

Posted 4 years ago

gordy
gordy

Hi there vistual. Yeh i do know how licky i am to have vista OS disc. Can you tell me how to access the recovery manager as i don't remember ever seeing it on my pc, i have home basic. also could you tell me if the Macrium software will save an image of an intire drive rather than just a partition as once it's dual boot i'll want to save images of both boot partitions

Posted 4 years ago

vistual
vistual

Please start another thread with your questions about Macrium - i will learn from it too.
sorry dont know enough and wouldnt want to mislead you.
to get the recovery manager ......
hit your start button and start typing recovery manager into the search field.
before youre done typing you will see it pop up.

Posted 4 years ago

gordy
gordy

tried that but all i get come up is 'recovery point browser'

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 but deleted that partition longggg ago. Again suggest you download Macrium reflect, Install and make an image of your Vista system as it is today. Macrium will allow you to make a bootable recovery Cd for emergency recovery. Before trying to use your recovery partition backup your system as you will lose all data since you first started your computer.

1.When the Dell logo appears, press <F8>
several times to access the Vista Advanced
Boot Options Window.
If you wait too long and the
operating system logo appears, continue to
wait until you see the Microsoft® Windows®
desktop; then, shut down your computer
and try again.
2. Select Repair Your Computer.
The System Recovery Options window appears.
3. Select a keyboard layout and click Next.
4. To access the recovery options, log on as a
local user. To access the command prompt,
type administrator in the User name
field, then click OK.

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

gordy
gordy

Here is a link i got from another thread for downloading macrium
macrium download
and here is a link to a tutorial h-t-g has got on installung and using macrium
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....p-utility/

Posted 4 years ago

vistual
vistual

okay - guess its different on different machines
like the man said then when booting up try tapping either the F11,or F12 key to get into the recovery menu.
on mine (HP) its F11 i believe.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

gordy, Please re-read my post it is the F8 key on your Dell. I included all instructions per the Dell manual.
you can download the manual from here. http://support.dell.com/suppor...../index.htm

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

gordy
gordy

sorry if ive given someones link back to them, i'm crap at this multi-tasking still my baby's asleep now so should be able to concentrate on job in hand.
Right then back to the topic of this thread 'burning recovery disc' i don't think i have recovery manager maybe coz i only got vista home basic so how else can i do it. If i use macrium, which i have already downloaded, and save the image to discwill i be able to boot from it?

Posted 4 years ago

gordy
gordy

Thanks loads, yes think i should go through and re-read posts. i didn't get manual with my dell so thanks for the link. I'll do as suggested then hopefully i can come back and mark this as solved. Once I've done that i will see about using macrium to save an image of my drive and if needs be I'll start a new thread on the subject. CHEERS FOR ALL THE HELP PEPS

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

gordy, When you read the manual page 44 you will notice Dell has a statement:
Dell Factory Image Restore may
not be available in certain countries or on certain computers.
Don't know if you are the lucky one

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

gordy
gordy

Thanks to all for the help and advice. I ended up using acronis to burn a recovery cd and Norton ghost to make an image of my recovery dive in case my messing with partitions buggered it up. As it happened i have sorted my partition probs without messing with my recovery partition so all is well. I am still curious if image file "recovery(E)/dell/image/Factory.wim" is enough to put my pc back to factory condition if necessary as i thought i saw on a web page that this was basically all that was needed?

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Yes, you should be able to get your system back to factory setup. The only problem with using this alone is if the partitions get messed up or you can't boot your computer due to anything from A/V to who knows what. It is best to have an image on DVD media or other external device. Make sure you make a bootable recovery Cd for both Acronis & Norton Ghost. This will be needed to boot your computer if you ever need to recover your images.

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

gordy
gordy

thanks for advice, i have made sure i am well backed up and now think i have got to where i wanted to be and i've been able to leave the recovery partition intact. i have now got a primary partition for my W7 and my EISA partition is now the logical one as i did an image of it then deleted, created my W7 partition then recreated my EISA and so as that was the one o did last it was that one that got made logical.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

you pretty comfy on making a system image now? The first one is always the hardest but then there is nothing to it. You will be happy if you need to use one to recover your sysyem.

Posted 4 years ago

gordy
gordy

sorry if that image don't make much sense i got confused with another thread anyway all is done on this. I backed up my revovery files and created rescue cd's to boot from if needs and have cheked out that i can still access my recovery options using F8. I found out that i don't have a menu option to burn recovery cd direct from my recovery options but all else is good, Thanks to all

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

there is a little workaround but it takes some time. If you cannot burn a copy of your recovery partition you can reload it to your "C" drive and then make an image to DVd's. Like I said it takes some time but you would have a true recovery image. Beside if your hdd goes out and you have to purchase a new one you won't have that recovery partition to fall back on.

Posted 4 years ago

gordy
gordy

I used acronis reflect to make an image back up of each partition on that drive plus i have saved the files(including protected and hidden i hope) to another external drive so i should be ok

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

just remember to make yourself an acronis bootable recovery Cd. You can make from within Acronis itself. This is needed if your system becomes unbootable, you will have to start your system from this recovery Cd so you can reload whatever image you need.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!