The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Building New Computer.

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by MattPoole
  • Latest reply from brad
  • Topic Viewed 876 times

MattPoole

Ok, So I got my first computer built with a lot of help from a mate a couple years back and as computers do they get outdated. So I'm looking to build my own this time. I'm pretty confident I can build it myself knowing what I now know, plus thanks to some great guides such as The Geek's excellent guide. Anyways So I'm at uni and want a fairly powerful all round computer that wont limit me too much. I want a good multimedia computer so want good sound and image. I'm not a serious gamer but still want to have a decent GPU on board, and A fairly good CPU is a must. HDD's are dirt cheap and I already got a 320Gb external so that's not an issue. I've done a bit of research and set myself a budget of about $2000AUD with everything included. Some comments and suggestions on my parts would be appreciated :) cheers

M/B Asus P5Q-Deluxe
RAM 4GB DDR2 800 G.skill
CPU Intel Q9400 2.66GHz
Optical Drive Sony DVD-RW 20x
HDD Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM
GPU Gigabyte 1GB 9800GTX+
Case Thermaltake M9D
Speakers Logitech Z2300 2.1
PSU Thermaltake 450w
Monitor Acer 24" P244WB 1080p

Posted 5 years ago

raijin

I think you might need a bigger power supply(higher wattage). I doubt a 450w can handle a 9800 GTX and a Q9400.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

What about the Q9550 as an option. It is highly rated and only slightly more expensive. I also would recommend 2 HDDs of 500GB (or even less) each rather than one 1TB monster. That would give you a lot more flexibility and performance (e.g. if you want to publish a large video with e.g. WMM). And raijin has a good point on the power supply. Go for 600W.

Posted 5 years ago

brad
brad

I agree with the other two members but if it were me I would go with an i7 setup. Its the newest model of CPU from intel and probably thebest out in the market. It runs close to the price of the Q9550 in price. You would need to upgrade your memory to DDR3 and pick a new motherboard as well as a bigger power supply if you do go this route.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!