SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Building a report based on Filesystem organization.

(8 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Space0Monkey
  • Latest reply from moreeg
  • Topic Viewed 370 times

Space0Monkey

Hello everyone!
I have been turned on to this site from lifehacker and it seems this is the right place to as my question.

I have a large quantity of assorted data (about 2tb worth) that I need to get some statistics from. I need to be able to determine how many files are within certain folders as well as what types of files they are.

So for example:

Folder I
-------Subfolder 1
------------Filetype A
------------Filetype A
------------Filetype B
-------Subfolder 2
------------Filetype A
------------Filetype C
Folder II
-------Subfolder 1
------------Empty
-------Subfolder 2
------------Filetype A
------------Filetype B

So in this case I would want to report on how many files and what types are in Subfolder 2 with all Folders.

Example:

4 Total Files:
2 Type A
1 Type B
1 Type C

I have set up my filesystem so that all main folders have the same subfolders and organization so I believe this should be possible. I do have some folders that go as deep as 6 levels. I think that what I am basically looking for is something that takes the output from the Windows 'tree' function and puts it into a report. Does anyone know of any software like that?

I apologize for my long and possibly confusing explanation. Its a rather hard question to convey.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Posted 2 years ago

Space0Monkey

Am I mistaken in thinking this is a good place to ask this question? Does anyone know where else I should post instead?

I did a quick output of the tree command to an RTF and came up with 6,500 pgs.... somewhere around 250,000 files. I would just do it all by hand... but that's going to take a while.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

Space0Monkey, hi.
It is a good place to ask a question, you need to wait for a skilled member who has the knowledge to answer to be logged in so please wait.

Posted 2 years ago

Space0Monkey

OK, Just wanted to make sure I was in the right place :-D

Posted 2 years ago

moreeg

Hi Space0Monkey

I couldn't find anything that would give you exactly what you wanted however there is a free program (Karen's Directory Printer) that will get you fairly close after which you could write your own report using Excel.

Posted 2 years ago

Space0Monkey

Thank you moreeg! I came to the same conclusion, I don't believe there is software that matches my use case exactly. The software you mentioned looks like its perfect for adapting to my needs though. I'm going to give a try and we'll see how it goes :-D Thank you again!

Posted 2 years ago

Space0Monkey

OK, So using Karen's Directory Printer I was able to get some rough reports. I ended up outputting a file list to a txt document and then used notepad++ to look for and count the number of different files i was looking for. It wasn't as exact as i would like but it was a lot better than doing it by hand. The biggest problem was when dealing with archives, especially those with multiple parts. If an archive had 43 parts and i was searching for a keyword in its filename, then i would get 42 false positives. Through some finding and deleting i was able to get rid of most of the duplicate readings though and I think i've got a pretty solid data set now. Thank you again!

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

moreeg

Glad you got to a solution. If you were keying on file extensions one of the options in Karen's program is to print out only file extensions and leaves out the name. I thought that function might be particularly useful to you.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.